Lutron Questions

Lutron used to make a zigbee PIco-like device. They don't any more. GE/Jasco have some z-wave remotes that are similar to Picos, but aren't supported by Hubitat.

How long of an answer do you want? And give it time and there will be dozens of other people agreeing.

Yes. HE can integrate with the Lutron Caseta Pro bridge and with Lutron RadioRa 2 and RadioRa 2 Select.

----Reasons.....
100% reliability
Integrates/Works with all decent home automation platforms
Professional lighting system (Caseta is DIY but still professional quality)
No Z-Wave problems/mesh/repair why is this slow/not working
Wide selection of colors (RadioRa 2) Caseta is limited
In Wall Keypads and Scenes (RadioRa 2)
Pico remotes... these alone have a cult following!!!
Fan Control options
Power plug options (RadioRa 2)
Thermostat options (RadioRa 2)
REAL occupancy sensors (RadioRa 2) - recently released for Caseta but this version doesn't integrate with HE.

I can keep going.....

You'll see that RadioRa 2 is a whole home system for lighting and HVAC and other things are possible such as VCRX for garage doors and relay options etc etc... lots of options.

Caseta is a budget friendly DIY option and is mainly primary lighting there is now a fan control unit and of course there are Pico remotes.

Now I'm a Lutron fan and dealer so what do I know.... I'll leave it to the rest to comment their satisfaction.

EDIT: Oh yeah Window shades with RadioRa 2 and most important for family satisfaction and WAF.... NO POPCORN LIGHTING... try do do a group scene of z-wave lighting and you'll see them pop-on and you can see the serial nature of z-wave. Just the way it is... yes you can do direct associations but it's still there. Lutron Scenes are uniform so on/off/brighten/dim all lights in sync. Never do that with Z-Wave. Zigbee has the capability to do this and so does Insteon. I would recommend Insteon for lighting before Z-Wave personally.

3 Likes

I use Radio RA2 and yes you can get 1 Aux repeater with the essential (free online training), and more if you have the inclusive software (paid training).

1 Like

everyone, this is great ! I have been trying to understand where to get started with Lutron. I have not installed any of the switches yet and I have no problem sending them back if needed.

I replaced all of my Z-Wave switches and dimmers with Lutron Caseta switches, dimmers, fan controllers, and pico remotes. They all just work 100% of the time.

I also like that Lutron has its own integrations with Amazon Alexa, Google Home, Apple HomeKit, Logitech Harmony, SmartThings, and more... Hubitat's integration is fast, reliable, and local over your home LAN. It is good to have options! :sunglasses:

When you buy into Lutron, you are buying a home lighting system, not just some switches. I really like systems that can stand on their own and be integrated with basically everything. If I ever want to use another home automation platform, at least I will not have to touch any of my Lutron devices. I have never had to 'pair' one a second time.

2 Likes

If I could quote @jeubanks post on another theard

Well said, except PM me instead. joking! Lutron is not cheep. RA has more option but more $$

1 Like

I said this in a previous post but I'll repeat it.

Lutron is a absolutely great system with a caveat. Cost.

On a budget you can readily go with a Lutron Caseta Pro bridge and switches/dimmers for just a little more than you will pay for quality Z-Wave equivalent switches/dimmers. This is an absolutely great system too.

BUT... Fine print.....

The Caseta Switches/Dimmers are NOT compatible with the RadioRa 2 system (normal or budget Select). SOOOO.... if you have any inclination of ever upgrading to RadioRa 2 keep that in mind because YOU WILL HAVE TO replace EVERYTHING.

Finer Print.....

Caseta and RadioRa 2 Select have Occupancy sensors. THEY DO NOT interface with any external control systems. You ONLY get the Occupancy sensor integrations with the full RadioRa 2 system.

2 Likes

A Lot more $$$

1 Like

If I want to be very flexiable, I should start with RadioRa 2 system then ?

My goal is to expand to fully automated shades over time. I have been researching to see if they should also be lutron or something else like hunter douglas

Oh come on what difference does a zero make?! :rofl:

I say yes, but do your research and make sure you know what your getting into cost/options wise. To add in my second floor it is going to be @ $2K and I already own the main system. Just to give you an idea

RA2 also has RA2 Select and RA2 Full. I opted for RA2 full so I had more options down the road. Not cheep, but a better long term play, for me.

Here's some light reading on the subject. I would ignore the Home QS stuff unless you have VERY deep pockets!

1 Like

My Lutron Caseta devices are rock solid. They always just work.

The Pico Remotes are fantastic. The remotes are said to have up to a ten year battery life. You can use the pico remotes to do just about anything, and they match the style of the caseta dimmers, so they look great together.

The best decision I've made in Home Automation was to go with Lutron Caseta.

4 Likes

For the most flexibility and options yes RadioRa 2 would be your choice. You "could" start with RadioRa 2 Select and later in the future replace your Main Repeater. It all depends on what you want to start with and what your real end-goal is.

If this is your end-goal then I would start with RadioRa 2 so you have full options in the future. It does cost more upfront but you'll be setup for future growth.

If you have a Lutron system then going with Lutron Shades is kinda a no-brainer to have everything fully integrated. I have no info about those other brands and how you'd integrate them.

As @ogiewon mentioned before. Lutron is a full system in it's own that works outside of HE and integrates. If someday you choose not to use Hubitat you don't have to think about replacing your lights. When the Z-Wave 700 series becomes the normal you don't have to think about it for your lights or shades or other pieces.

1 Like

Could you please explain that statement? I don't understand. Thank you.

1 Like

It means you won't care about other technologies that come out.

(Because you will have invested so many thousands of dollars into lutron, that you couldn't stomach the idea of walking away from it. LOL)

That's a joke.

I'm sure he means because you will already have the best protocol in use already. No point in caring what new shiny protocol comes out in the future.

2 Likes

You won't care about Z-Wave because it won't matter anymore.

Yeah.... Only kinda :wink:

Couldn't have said it any better.

1 Like

Except for the almighty Pico (but they are not exactly a switch or a dimmer, per say). They are so fantastic they work across all Lutron platforms (after a factory reset)

1 Like

Correct. But I did say Switches/Dimmer though... :slight_smile:

1 Like

As I'm passionate about all things lighting I'm going to ask the Caseta/Lutron pros here. This is specific to when Caseta/RA2 Select/RA2 are integrated with Hubitat not necessarily on their own.

What is the ability to control fade times both at the switch and programmatically?

In general, what does a "device page" look like for a typical wall dimmer, lamp dimmer, or switch? Is there even such a device page with preferences? Is there an equivalent "device page" within the Lutron App/Bridge that enables such preferences (for example the aforementioned fade times, ramp rates, or even indicator LED color…).

How is the popcorn effect experienced/mitigated?

How are scenes (or another form of simultaneous action) crafted? Are scenes in Hubitat somehow "translated" to a more native form when transmitted to the dimmers? I have seen the possibilities of ZigBee groups so I am intrigued if something similar is available here.

Can the buttons on dimmers/picos be abstracted from their loads to control smart bulbs? How fast is the response?

Without a hub interaction (for example a rule) how fast does a dimmer respond to a button press? Specifically from pushing the "on" button to seeing light how long of a delay might be experienced? Repeat same question with a hub interaction involved?

I have been taking something of a home automation lighting systems "tour" over the past several weeks. Testing Lutron's offerings would be exciting but since they are only available at significant cost I cannot simply purchase one to test drive. I'm very curious of the community's collective knowledge on this.

Thanks,
Richard

1 Like

I have both. I have Lutron RadioRA 2 in all the areas with lots of lights. I have a single Lutron Caséta dimmer. I use Z-Wave for smaller rooms.

Both system standards perform fine. Each has its own pluses and minuses.

Lutron RadioRA 2
Plusses:

• Lutron communications protocols are rock-solid
  • Maestro style dimmers/switches are aesthetically nice
  • Dimmers have programmable default on settings
  • Keypads are very nice and totally programmable in Hubitat
  • Ability to use Picos within Hubitat environment
    Use of the Lutron controller allows for coordinated control between switch legs. No popcorning.

Minuses:

• Cost - significant, but not as big as MSRP differences, get a quote from a dealer.
  • Programming - uses a device called a "main repeater" that is old (2011-ish) and only programmable using a Windows-based program.

Lutron Caséta
Plusses:

• Lutron communications protocols are rock-solid
  • Cost for basic non-neutral dimmer. But always use a neutral wire dimmer if you can.
  • Ability to use Picos within Hubitat environment
  • Use of the Lutron controller allows for coordinated control between switch legs. No popcorning.

Minuses:

• Aesthetics - uses 4 stacked buttons to control the dimmer - on, off, up, down. Compared to Maestro on/off toggle with level secondary bar.
  • No ability to change default 'on' behavior at the device. The lights always go on to 100%. This can be an issue with modern LEDs (often brighter than even equivalent incandescent), especially in a retrofit installation. Fade on/off rates are locked too.

Z-Wave - this is harder to quantify
Plusses:

• If you have a good mesh performance is good
  • More variety of control options. Some are really very good. Others are cheap junk. I use the Leviton dimmers as they are fairly close to Lutron Maestro style.
  • Cost is generally good even for better devices

Minuses:

• Relies on mesh communications. If you have problems with your mesh you will have problems with your lights.
  • Popcorning

If cost is not an issue then RadioRA 2 all the way (stay away from RA2 Select. You save at best a few hundred $ on a still expensive system). If cost is an issue I'd go Z-Wave before Caséta. The Z-Wave devices just have so many more features and better aesthetics than Caséta dimmers. But even with Z-Wave dimmers I'd buy a Caséta Pro hub to be able to add Picos to the Hubitat system.

2 Likes

Disclaimer: my experience is only with Lutron Caseta devices, not Radio RA2...

Hubitat can control the transition time on a per Caseta dimmer granularity. Each device details page has a setting for this.

Each Switch, Dimmer, and Fan Controller has its own device details page.

Loads cannot be abstracted from Caseta switches and dimmers. Picos can be used with Hubitat to control anything. I use them to control Hubitat Groups of Sengled Zigbee bulbs with instant performance and no popcorn effect (using Zigbee Group messaging.)

Like any physical light switch, the response is immediate. You press on or off, and the light responds instantly. Hubitat commands are also instantaneous.

2 Likes