Lutron Pico - Fast Pico Device - Works For one Button Press then Unresponsive

I have a Pico remote set through the Lutron Bridge and integrated with Telnet to HE.

These seemed to work flawlessly for months until a few weeks ago. I noticed that some tabletop Picos I have for control will work for one press, then they stop working for a while.

Watching the logs, I can see the one button released or held, then no more response.

What's going on here? Is the Lutron Bridge crapping the bed, or is it something in HE? Is there a Lutron Bridge log to review?

Thanks!

I'm not aware of any logs on the Lutron side for that, but it could be that I'm just not familiar enough. However, assuming you have Caséta or RA2 Select, you can simulate a real Pico button press by using the Lutron app (probably can in "full" RA2 as well if you have the Connect Bridge, but I don't know what all app features that provides). This would at least rule out a telnet or Bridge communication problem with Hubitat. It could be something as simple as the Pico battery, even though they're supposed to last 10 years or whatever they say, or maybe a range issue, though that seems unlikely if you didn't change anything.

Great call @bertabcd1234.

When triggering the up/down buttons for those remotes in the Lutron app, I get immediate response within HE logs.

So - the problem appears to be between the PICOs and the base - everything is new within the past 3 months - I wonder what is going on that the Picos all seem to be acting incorrectly at the same time.

It seems like the Pico's are not talking through the Lutron mesh created by the dimmer outlets. The further I move away from my Lutron Hub, I'm getting worse response. Perhaps my batteries are working, but are slowly getting weak.

Does anyone else have any comment regarding Pico's and their chatter to the Lutron Hub?

How far is this Pico from the hub? I ask because I had one on my nightstand that worked great and then all of a sudden exhibited similar behavior as you describe. If I physically walked it closer to the hub it worked fine. I spoke to Lutron support and they had me buy a repeater that I put between the Pico and hub. I wasn’t happy making that $50 purchase but I purchased the plug-in dimmer module and put that where I previously had a zwave outlet and reused that zwave outlet elsewhere.

I have never understood why all of a sudden it stopped working but the repeater fixed the issue. You may want to call Lutron for help. This may have changed but last time I checked you can only designate one repeater in the Lutron app. It’s not a mesh network so you may need to change which is your repeater

1 Like

Correct, only one repeater can be added but you can also add a dimmer in series to extend coverage up to 90 feet.

1 Like

Isn’t that specific to their newer extender/repeater? That of course came out after I purchased the dimmer which can act as an extender but only by 30 additional feet. Don’t believe plug-in dimmers alone act this way unless I am not reading that correctly.

1 Like

Requires using a bridge, repeater and a plug in dimmer to get the 90 feet.

2 Likes

Thanks all - I have a plug in lamp dimmer, but I see I need a repeater for it to enable the extended distance. Ok - I will buy a repeater tonight and get back to you with an update - I suspect this will fix my issues.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.