Lutron dimmers

I purchased a 4 year old house.
It has lutron and leviton switches and dimmers.

I am newbie to home automation.
After a day of research i picked hubitat and received my hub. Love it.

Connected all my leviton zwave devices with no issues and automation is working as expected.

Lutron dimmers and switches on the other hand what i need help with.

My goal is to include them into my hubitat hub automation.

I have been searching hubitat community and am pretty confused about direction to go.

1. I dont know type of my lutron swiches are. Casetta? Diva? Maestro? How to tell?
  2. Will Lutron casetta Pro 2 bridge work with all types of lutron switches and dimmers?
  3. What is Ra2? is it a another lutron hub? Is it a feature?
  4. Why hubitat cannot natively/diretly connect to lutron just like levitons? I heard wink can do it.

New users may find hubitat user interface challenging. Hubitat team may use a web friendly redesign. I am voluntering for suggestions and testing new ui.

You can get the model number from the back of the switch and google it or check Lutron's website. You could also post a photo of the switch here - there are community members (@bravenel, @bill.d, @marktheknife, @ogiewon, and many others) who are Lutron experts.

Only Caseta and Caseta Pro dimmers and switches.

It is a different Lutron system that is available in multiple tiers.

It is my understanding that Lutron has declined to do a hardware integration of their ClearConnect radio with any other hub manufacturer.

1 Like

Take a picture of some of your Lutron switches and post them here. The Caseta line of switches is very distinctive.

1 Like

I am getting โ€œ Sorry, you can't embed media items in a post.โ€ when i try to add lutron pictures with my iphone.

Thanks aaiyar. Very clear and informative.

1 Like

Frustration! I had to remove ! before the image tag to post and will let me only post 2 images. Another improvement request from hubitat. Please encourage posts with removing these restrictions and adding more moderators. I already dont like this interface.

image|375x500 image|375x500

Jeez, now it says โ€œyou are replying too quicklyโ€. How can you make it any worse!

image|375x500 image|375x500

The issue is just because these are your first posts. There are some restrictions imposed on new community members, I suspect to avoid trolling or spamming... You will have the ability to post later on. Maybe try sending the picture to me in a private post (not sure that this will work either, but worth a try...) and I will post it to the thread if it works.

Update: actually, the pictures did upload and can be viewed. Here they are:

1 Like

Keep i mind that community forums are not supposed to serve your comfort level. They are for users to express their opinions, ask for help etc... and i am most exited when i am new here and you just killed that exitement.
I dont care about Trollers and spammers, but you just turned it and made it my problem. Why? Because i am the one being restricted! And i am Not a spammer.

Hope you hear what i am saying. Your precautions will slowdown this community growth. My posts are perfect example how your rules make people upset pretty quickly.

Glad to be part of this community.

Pictures are in. Can anyone tell what solution i need to connect these lutron switches to hubitat hub?

Those are not Lutron Caseta devices. I do not know exactly what Lutron product line they are part of. You may need to remove the faceplates and do a little more investigation. Just please be very careful.

1 Like

Usually, new forum users are prompted to go through a quick training exercise with @discobot. This allows a new user to get a few of the features of the forum software unlocked quickly.

1 Like

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

This looks like a manual (i.e. not smart) dimmer, as there is a manual slider.

But I am not 100% certain.

Here is a manual Lutron dimmer that looks very similar...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lutron-Single-Pole-or-3-Way-Diva-LED-Dimmer-Switch-for-Dimmable-LED-Halogen-and-Incandescent-Bulbs-White-DVCL-153PR-WH/203670402

2 Likes

This one might be a simple non-smart Maestro dimmer as well...

Here is an example of one that is non-smart.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lutron-Maestro-LED-Dimmer-Switch-for-Dimmable-LED-Halogen-and-Incandescent-Bulbs-Single-Pole-or-Multi-Location-White-MACL-153MR-WH/203489683

1 Like

@utirpan

I think that @ogiewon nailed it with both Lutron dimmer identifications.

2 Likes

They indee look like the ones in the links you posted.
Is it notmal for non smart switches to blink after i press and hold for 7 seconds?
I thought thats how smart switches are paired but i am just a newbie.

One thing Lutron has is a lot of documentation. Their dimmers:
https://www.lutron.com/en-US/Products/Pages/StandAloneControls/Dimmers-Switches/DimmersSwitches.aspx

The Maestro style is used in both non-smart and smart applications. The second picture above is a plain non-smart Maestro dimmer. The smart dimmers have a diagonal double arrow next to the "Lutron" engraving on the toggle button.

3 Likes

Just want to clarify that certain restrictions on new users is quite common in many online forums. They are in place to protect legitimate users from abuse by bots and spammers as @Sebastien mentioned. To not do so would be irresponsible, IMHO.

No one is implying that you personally are here for some kind of nefarious purpose, though. As you can already see, many people are happy to help.

All you need to do to get new user restrictions lifted is to continue using the forum. And as @ogiewon mentioned, doing the new user tutorial with @discobot also helps with lifting the restrictions.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.