Lutron Connected Bulb Remotes

As indicated by @mike.maxwell, there are no plans to support these. And as others have remarked, they're going at a premium on eBay. I'd recommend you take advantage of the demand!

Thanks for your reply.

Thanks for your reply. Having more buttons per remote is actually not a positive thing for me, so, I will look into this further.

Thanks for your reply. I no longer sell on eBay, so, if I were to do this I'd try to find some other way to recover the value of the five Lutron Connected Bulb remotes my system replies upon.

It appears I need to buy another hub (of some type, it's not clear to me what it does, a Telnet gateway for Hubitat?) plus all new remotes to make this setup work. Doesn't seem worth making the jump, based on the cost and complexity. Still trying to find a simple diagram to help illustrate what's going on here.

I have 51 Zwave devices ... many of which are well within sight of the hub location, so I am feeling that my centrally-located hub site should 'mate' well with the Zwave mesh, getting around any issues of Zwave range.

Even if you don't do that, the Hue Dimmer ($25 USD) or Eria Remote ($20 USD)--or even the remote that came with this $8.88 bulb I got for actually $4.88 at Home Depot, probably on clearance and soon to be not availalbe--can also reset Hue bulbs. I'm guessing most Touch Link remotes can, too (probably Ikea's cheap ones, but I've never tested).

I was convinced that the mistaken belief that only an LCBR could reset Hue bulbs was the reason they commanded such high prices in the used market, but apparently Wink users also like them, and they're getting harder to find after the discontinuation. :slight_smile:

Anyway, my point is that you could probably sell them all and still come out ahead--and have something that works natively with the Hue system that can still reset bulbs if you ever happen to have that need (the Hue Dimmer), though any of the options above will do. I second everyone above who is a fan of how well Picos work on Hubitat (sans a small issue I have where they can be slow to respond the first time I use them after a reboot).

They make 4-button (2BRL: "two button plus raise/lower", as well as true 4-button, usually engraved for on/off of two different lights) Pico remotes. You can certainly find some that look like the LCBR or a Caseta dimmer. But just because the fifth button is there in the middle of the 3BRL model doesn't mean you have to use it. :slight_smile: It is usually a bit cheaper than the others for some reason, but you can still usually find "four-button" models for not much more.

1 Like

That's interesting. My Wink system uses robots, activated by each button on the Lutron Connected Bulb remote controls. These robots activate a variety of devices that are not Caseta switches ... which I have only one of!

For example, my wife's nightstand has a Lutron Connected Bulb remote. She taps the top button to turn on the bathroom lights, another to shut all the house lights off when she retires, another button that turns on all outdoor floodlights (if she hears something and I'm not there) and the fourth button turns on the upstairs hallway and staircase lights at 50%.

Other 'LCBR' units in different rooms have similar duties.

It appears I can replace these LCBR units with identical-sized Pico remotes, but what isn't clear is if doing so still requires yet another hardware hub or not.

Further uncertain is if buying the additional hub would actually enable the LCBR units as-is, anyway.

I very much appreciate your sharing your experiences.

It does. The CBRs are Zigbee touchlink devices. The Picos are ClearConnect devices. Integrating them with Hubitat requires Hubitat's Lutron Caseta/RA2 integration. The cheapest option for the latter is the Caseta Pro Bridge, which is around $100.

The CBRs are not supported by either Lutron's Caseta or RA2 systems. I don't know of any hub outside of Wink that supports the Lutron CBR. SmartThings might - I know there was an effort to get them working, but I don't know what the current status of the effort is.

Ah-hah! That was the missing piece of information! Excellent!

Given this requirement, I am going to stay with the Wink system as-is.

At this juncture that would appear to be only option to continue using the Lutron CBRs. Some possibly good news from last week is that Wink may not disappear. I've heard relatively reliable rumors that Ezlo are interested in acquiring Wink from i.am+. This would fit with the rest of their portfolio (Vera, FortrezZ, Centralite, mios).

I have them all working but sometimes discovery is a pain if it is a bit too far away.

They do not, other than allowing it to pair and then be paired directly to a bulb. It does not allow you to use it as a button device.

I have seen posts that some people have gotten LCBR to work with Hue. I have not been able to get it to work. I do have a lot of Lutron Caseta in wall switches and dimmers. Using the Lutron smart bridge pro and the Hubitat integration gives me much better response and reliability without any internet requirements. I was able to map some Pico buttons to control more than just the Caseta stuff once the Picos were added to Hubitat. I just created rules for them.

The connected bulb remote on Wink can use shortcuts for each button to control just about anything. The problem is that it is only capable of doing that with wink. The standard Picos using the Lutron integration with Hubitat allows you to map the buttons using rules to control pretty much any device not just Lutron. For instance. I control my bedroom lights with a Pico. But a long push on one of the buttons toggles the Phillips smart bulb in the closet on and off. Another button long push toggles a table lamp in the room.

The Hubitat/Hue integration does not have any internet requirement either. It is 100% local (like Alexa) and not a cloud interface (like Google Home's).

Alexa is most certainly not a local integration, not with Hubitat, nor anyone else...

I think he was referring to the Alexa to Philips Hue Hub integration. Of course the voice processing is still via the Cloud.

Too bad no one has the Zigbee driver that Wink uses for the CBRs that could tweak them for HE. I do have a question though. Can you set up a pico in HE and not assign it to any device then make rules for each button. I had an issue making that rule unless it was assigned to at least one Lutron device. (even though the rule worked on non-Lutron devices)
)

Are they still linked to your Wink hub and using shortcuts? Or, are did you pair them to the Hue bridge. I tried pairing mine to the Hue directly with no luck. I can pair the CBR to Hubitat but they they won't do anything. I have around 4 of them laying around and just figured I could use them for the Hue stuff that I had. I found that if I paired it directly with the bulb, it kicked the Hubitat connection off.

generically, that's exactly how they are used.

You pair them to the Lutron hub, identify them in the Hubitat Integration (Lutron's hub gives them a device number, so you have to tell Hubitat what that number is,) and give it a friendly name. From then on, you just use it in Rules or Apps. It's just another device.. but it's a button device, so there's Apps that offer the features for buttons to be used.

Logs would look like:

dev:838 2019-12-17 11:54:45.042 am info Office WallSwitch was turned on [digital]
app:805 2019-12-17 11:54:44.369 am info Turning On: [Office WallSwitch]
dev:766 2019-12-17 11:54:44.138 am info Office Pico button 1 was pushed
dev:774 2019-12-17 11:54:44.105 am info rcvd: DEVICE,2,2,4
dev:774 2019-12-17 11:54:43.695 am info rcvd: DEVICE,2,2,3
dev:838 2019-12-17 11:54:43.491 am info Office WallSwitch was turned off [digital]
dev:838 2019-12-17 11:54:43.465 am info Office WallSwitch was turned off [digital]
app:805 2019-12-17 11:54:39.976 am info Turning Off: [Office WallSwitch]
dev:766 2019-12-17 11:54:39.866 am info Office Pico button 5 was pushed
dev:774 2019-12-17 11:54:39.837 am info rcvd: DEVICE,2,4,4
dev:774 2019-12-17 11:54:39.692 am info rcvd: DEVICE,2,4,3

(Read from the bottom up)
Shows a button was pushed then released. That is detected by a Rule, that turns on a light. Then another button on the same Pico was pushed, released, turning the light off.

1 Like