Lutron Caseta Regular vs Pro?

I'm about to dive into the world of Lutron Caseta. Is there any difference between using the "regular" switches vs the "pro"?

Pro - https://www.casetawireless.com/us/en/pro-products

Regular - https://www.casetawireless.com/us/en/products/dimmers-switches

Thanks for the help!

Hubitat can only use the Pro version with their integration. The communication is Telnet between the hub and the Caséta bridge, and that option is not available with the consumer level bridge.

I understand that the PRO hub is needed, but I was more concerned about the devices themselves. Or are you saying that if I use the Pro hub that I need to use the Pro devices?

Any caseta-branded switches and dimmers will work with Hubitat as long as you’re using a caseta pro bridge.

1 Like

No such thing. The next level up in the Lutron lineup is RA2 and that uses RA2 devices. Doesn't relate to the Caséta line.

Ok, so the Smart Bridge Pro (L-BDGPRO2-WH) is the one I would want to get. That is listed on the "Pro" page for Lutron that I linked to above.

As for the devices themselves, which are also listed on the professional page, I would not want to get them as they use RA2 and are not Caseta. Do I have that correct? Those "pro" devices are shown here:

No, as @marktheknife mentioned, if they are branded "Caséta" then they will work with the Pro hub you will need for Hubitat. I think the difference is the sales channel. Normally Pro hubs are only sold to dealer channels, but you can get them on Amazon and retailers like Energy Avenue. No questions asked. The Pro switches you linked to above fall into that pro-installer/dealer channel category. You're not going to find those devices in the consumer channels like Home Depot, Best Buy, etc.

Thanks @SmartHomePrimer. Looks like both switches are offered on Amazon, but the Pro is over 2x the cost. I'm going to guess by the popularity of the non-pro dimmers that those would be fine to use and that the pro dimmers mentioned here are not worth the extra cost. Is that fair to say?

The L-BDGPRO2-WH hub is available on eBay. I see one for $113 USD and others for similar prices. I believe I got mine for $99 a few years ago on eBay.

1 Like

Yes, I believe there are some caseta “pro” switches and/or dimmers, but that is purely a marketing distinction.

As long as you have a Caseta pro bridge (L-BDGPRO2), you can use any switch or device with Caseta in its name, regardless of whether it also says “pro” or not in the name, and it’ll integrate with Hubitat.

1 Like

Yes, in general that is fair to say. There may be some very specific situations that could require one of the high-end Caseta "Pro" switches or dimmers, for specific lighting dimmer loads, or the need for a no-neutral 'switch'.

I know there is a high-end Caseta Dimmer that includes the round "favorite" button in the middle, if that is important to you. It allows the dimmer to come on at a prescribed level, instead of 100%.

2 Likes

I found this comparison.

5 Likes

Big fan of Lutron equipment - Caseta. Two locations and four hubs. Bullet-proof in my view.

Just to close the loop for anyone finding this thread later...

I share your enthusiasm for Caseta. Curious though as to why you need / prefer more than one hub? I have 3 hue hubs and four HE hubs but I have never seen the need for more than one Lutron hub. (Three Hue hubs because I have three Hue HDMI sync boxes and Hue only supports one active sync box per Hue hub. Four HE hubs because I split out my security system integration and my various wifi integrations, plus a lower region.)

I believe there is a limit to the number of devices one hub can control, so that might be one reason for multiple Caseta hubs. I have 3 at one location as I have 3 buildings that are too far apart for one to cover, and one at a second home.

1 Like

Bingo.

Currently, the Caseta Pro hub pairing limit is 75 devices, including Picos. For anyone who enjoys the infinite control of HE-integrated custom-programmed Picos, additional hub(s) may be inevitable.

2 Likes

Apparently I need some more Picos :slight_smile:

2 Likes