Lutron Caseta Fan

Has anyone added the Lutron Caseta Fan switches into Hubitat yet?

My Integration Report shows me this:

{
"ID" : 20,
"Name" : "Ceiling Fan",
"Area" : {
"Name" : "Office"
}

In the Integration App, should this be set as a dimmer or a switch or something else? Just curious how the Hubitat team has this setup to be configured?

Thanks!

I have mine set as a dimmer right now as there is no "code" for the fan switch yet.

1 Like

Thanks! I just tested it and yeah, dimmer works but it would be nice if there were buttons to correspond to the same rates of speed as on the front panel of the fan switch.

I'm sure there will be. The fan control is brand new.

Yes they are... and I love them already :slight_smile:

Bruce has mentioned in another Caseta Fan controller thread that Hubitat will be adding a new Lutron device type . That usually means within a few weeks, or maybe a month or so. I don't think we'll have to wait too long. :wink:

1 Like

They are nice.

Do those require a neutral wire at the switch?

Yes they do.

I have no knowledge on Lutron, in fact I'm youtubing them right now to try and get some knowledge, because of how many on here that seem to state how great they work.....Question, I know HE only supports the Lutron Pro, are the other version switches/fan controls compatible with the pro hub, or does everything have to be the pro version to integrate with HE?

You have to have the Lutron Pro Hub in order to integrate Lutron Caseta switches, dimmers, pico, etc with Hubitat.

the switches and dimmers, pico, etc for Lutron Caseta are not considering "pro" devices, it's just the hub that is considered Pro vs non-Pro as it relates to it's ability to provide telnet capability which is what Hubitat needs in order to communicate and control devices.

2 Likes

The Caséta Fan controller was just released. There isn't another version compatible with Caséta Smart Bridge, be it Standard or Pro version of the bridge. Any other Lutron fan controllers will be for the RA2 technology. Those are not compatible with Caséta bridges.

That answers my question because I'm seeing a youtube video of a Lutron fan controller (video is a couple years old) to where it doesn't require a neutral wire at the switch and it has a canopy module you hook up similar to the Hampton Bay controllers......so I'm guessing those won't work with the pro hub?

I'm not familiar with what you are referring to. These new switches work with dumb fans that have a pull chain to active them. They are not to be used with fans that have certain motors (I believe ones that work off remotes). Since I recently remodeled my home and put in dumb fans and used GE ZWave Plus fan switches, the Lutron Ceiling fan switches that just came out replaced those nicely and seamlessly which now makes all my wall plates look much nicer as well. They do require a neutral wire and they do require a Pro hub.

There are some Lutron Maestro controllers like that. I have two. One will be replaced by the Caséta fan controller I just bought. There was a special versions of the Maestro controller that was to be compatible with the RA2 Select, but it was superseded by an RA2 fan controller.

There's no canopy module required for the Caséta version.

Yes it's the Maestro, so as long as I can find one of the selects with RA2, it would work? I don't have a neutral at the switch so if not I'll have to deal with the Hampton Bay controllers (PIA from what I hear)

No, if you were to go with RA2 Select or RA2, that's a different system. They are not cross compatible with Caséta. RA2 also requires you take an online course and purchase a software to program the system. RA2 Select does not.

RA2 devices are very nice, but much more expensive and all these Picos that we praise are also not compatible with RA2. You do however have very nice keypads with RA2, but we're talking $$$

If you want to keep in the prosumer level, you want a Caséta Smart Bridge Pro (around $80), and the Caséta Fan Controller (around $50). Check out Energy Avenue. That's where I got my fan controller from. Free shipping if you use the code SHIPFREE18 (worked for me when I ordered 10 days ago). But, yes a neutral is required.

Ya.....I think I'll just have to suffer through the Hampton Bay's, as I'm not spending $$$ for fan controllers nor having new wiring installed just for fans.....thanks for the insight though that's what I was wondering regarding the cross compatibility of their different version.....

I may still look at Lutron for lighting, or do the dimmers for the Casetta (pro) require a neutral also? I was thinking the youtube videos shown they weren't require but i may be wrong?

Depends on the switch / dimmer. Most require the neutral, but some do not. Pro hub still applies.