Lutron Caseta compatible Diva

meg ryan love GIF by HULU

2 Likes

"That's because it's hub and spoke, not mesh"

Actually it is a mesh but they refer to it as repeaters. The first lamp module on the home is a repeater for Caseta but you can buy more specific repeaters and build out the mesh. RA2 Select requires that buy specific repeaters if it is anything but a small home.

The minimum load the LED is much less than 25W. These are the only switches that work well without a Neutral. Keep in mind that he LEDs must be dimmable or it will not work.

It is possible that you using an older LED technology for the downlight and even the small amount of electricity that runs through it is enough to have the LED light up slightly. If that is the case then the Lutron switch is no likely to work any better. You might consider swapping the bulb out for a more modern LED bulb if that is possible.

1 Like

How many repeaters can you have? I thought just one for Caseta for a total of 2 possible (repeater + dimmer) per bridge.

With Ra2 I believe it's 4 repeaters...

1 Like

You can add a specific repeaters along with the dimmer repeater.

https://www.amazon.com/Lutron-Caseta-Repeater-PD-REP-WH-White/dp/B084CMKTG3/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1VVW46HT1ZCTM&keywords=Caseta+Smart+Wireless+Repeater&qid=1663258499&sprefix=caseta+smart+wireless+repeater%2Caps%2C223&sr=8-4

I believe it is the same as RA2.

But only one for Caseta. As @erktrek mentioned, a plug-in dimmer can also be used but that's it (1 of each)-- a second extender box or additional dimmers do not route (again, for Caseta).

3 Likes

I stand corrected. I have never needed more the one and I usually just use the Lamp version.

1 Like

Yep thats what I've done too.. have never really needed an actual repeater. The range is usually much better than advertised.

2 Likes

I have installed Caseta in to homes as large at 10,000+ feet and with a single lamp repeater I have had no issues. I only ever installed the additional repeater when I customer wanted it because the customer was afraid so I just installed it.

3 Likes

I have a repeater and a range extender (dimmer module). My detached garage is just out of reach with a range extender. I ended up buying to repeater for the extra range needed. It was not a cheap device and the same size/look as the bridge. Still worth it for me since ZigBee/z-wave was not an option for me.

3 Likes

I am sure I will run in to this issue eventually. It is a nice option to have.

1 Like

That's exactly what I got mine for - my detached garage. I have to say I have never seen the system miss a command.

1 Like

No, Clear Connect A (the wireless protocol used by Caseta, RadioRA 2 and RA2 Select) is not a mesh network. Not in the way that zigbee and z-wave are. Even though designated repeating devices can relay commands to/from the Caseta bridge or RA2 main repeater.

See link below for white paper written by Lutron engineers. This document seems to have been replaced by a newer version on Lutron’s own website, which does not clarify the difference. But the version of the document written in 2009 explains why Lutron’s fixed network topology (as they refer to it) is different from a mesh network.

4 Likes

The Mesh that I am referring to is the repeaters. The repeaters mesh together to create a mesh; referred to as repeaters. A mesh is a bunch of repeaters?

Call it what you’d like, but according to Lutron, it’s not a mesh network.

Clear Connect X might be different, I’m not sure.

1 Like

We will have to just agree to disagree.

Did you look at the Lutron document I linked to? I’m not the one saying it’s not a mesh. Lutron is.

1 Like

I will agree that Lutron does not call their repeater network a mesh. A mesh is a group of repeaters. Both Z-wave and Zigbee also refer to Repeater devices. Anyway most Lutron devices are end devices and only a few are repeaters. With Z-wave and Zigbee most are repeaters but a few are end devices. That is the biggest difference.

No it is not. The mesh or fixed network topologies are defined by how messages are routed through the network. The mere presence of repeating devices does not make the network a mesh.

These diagrams from the Lutron white paper I linked to are helpful at explaining the difference between the two.

4 Likes

Again we will have to agree to disagree but I do agree they are different.