Lutron Caseta compatible Diva

"The Diva dimmer uses the more traditional paddle design for on-off, plus you can press and hold the paddle to slowly dim to off or use the slider for precise dimming"

Sounds like an in-built fade to off feature, now that I read it again. Still, maybe (fingers crossed) button held event gets reported.

1 Like

This would be a real departure for Lutron. They don’t do it in their other ClearConnect product lines.

1 Like

Perhaps not for the wired devices, but the Picos do report held and double-press for all five buttons.

Yup. That’s why nothing different is anticipated for these switches/dimmers.

Actually, Held and Double-Press are features of the Hubitat driver software. The Pico only sends pushed and released events. Hubitat does the rest based on the timing of those two Telnet events from the Pico remotes.

4 Likes

Thank you for reminding me - I forgot that completely.

Using an alternative timer, it is possible to get multi-tap working with Picos, as demonstrated by @erktrek

2 Likes

I stand corrected; thanks for clarifying.

1 Like

I do not currently have any Lutron products, but the Diva dimmer and Claro switch look interesting.

I see where the Diva does not require a neutral. My house has all neutrals except for one circuit that has one LED downlight over the kitchen sink. I tried a Jasco switch that was made for no neutral on that circuit and the LED lamp would not turn off. I removed the Jasco switch and went back to a dumb switch.

So am I going to have the same issues if I try the Diva dimmers? If I understand the Lutron tech specs, the minimum load for the Diva dimmer is 25 W.

Would I have to install some sort of bypass like an Aeotec bypass on those circuits?

This could be a show-stopper for switching to Lutron. My wife does not like the looks of the traditional Caseta switches.

1 Like

Yeah, that 25w min is the show-stopper for me... Thanks to low-watt LED loads in my small house's small rooms, I'm not hitting 25w anywhere I'm using Caseta, and in some cases, a switch is just controlling a 5-7w load.

So all of my current Caseta switches are the PD-NE5 ELV model since it has a 10w min -- I've had good luck with those on my 5-7w loads, but I did put a bypass on my one 5w load (for peace of mind).

If they eventually come out with a lower-watt min / ELV model of the new style, I'll consider it - it is a nice new look.

Adding a bypass should help with your one switch, but a bypass can only help so much -- depending on the load gap, maybe you'd need more than one bypass? I'm not sure if those can be "stacked" though...

2 Likes

I have a house full of the Lutron Caseta dimmers, switches, and Pico remotes. They have been rock solid and the Telnet integration between the Pro hub and Hubitat is wonderful. Since I use Pico remotes for the three-way and four-way applications, I like that the older style dimmers look similar to the Picos. Thus, everything operates in the same manner.

Hopefully, for those who do not like the appearance of the older style devices, the Diva devices will be just as reliable. I do not know what I would do with three-way and four-way applications, unless they come out with a Diva style remote as an alternative to the Pico.

1 Like

I would try the Lutron LUT-MLC (minimum load capacitor).

https://www.amazon.com/Lutron-LUT-MLC/dp/B01E9F084E

3 Likes

Beat me to it!!!

My guess is they are releasing the no neutral versions first. The neutral dimmer models will come soon. Similar to their other product lines. Same as higher capacity, mlv, and maybe "pro" versions similar to maestro.

2 Likes

How does the Diva work? Does the little slider on the right side determine the preset level? When you single tap on the top of the dimmer does the light turn on to a level that corresponds to where that slider is? If you double tap on the top of the dimmer does that light go to full power, regardless of the slider?

2 Likes

Based on what I've read so far, "yes" to your questions. The slider acts as a preset. A double-tap (or hold or something like that) would bring the lights on full.

1 Like

Yes
Yes
Yes

:grin:

1 Like

LOL. Reminds me of When Harry Met Sally!

4 Likes

meg ryan love GIF by HULU

2 Likes

"That's because it's hub and spoke, not mesh"

Actually it is a mesh but they refer to it as repeaters. The first lamp module on the home is a repeater for Caseta but you can buy more specific repeaters and build out the mesh. RA2 Select requires that buy specific repeaters if it is anything but a small home.

The minimum load the LED is much less than 25W. These are the only switches that work well without a Neutral. Keep in mind that he LEDs must be dimmable or it will not work.

It is possible that you using an older LED technology for the downlight and even the small amount of electricity that runs through it is enough to have the LED light up slightly. If that is the case then the Lutron switch is no likely to work any better. You might consider swapping the bulb out for a more modern LED bulb if that is possible.

1 Like