Lutron Caseta and Pico Switches with Hubitat

Members,

Just an integration question. If I get the Pro Lutron bridge and a pico remote, can the pico remote control hubitat devices (my z wave switches) or is the pico only limited to cassetta devices?

Thank you in advance.

Using the hubitat integration allows you to use picos to control pretty much any device you have.

1 Like

Wow, very cool!! So those pico remotes can act like an icon on the dashboard?

1 Like

I'm not sure why you'd want to put a Pico on a Dashboard; to control a device using a Pico, you'd just create an automation that does what you want based on a "real" button event from the Pico (using the built-in Button Controller app is an easy way to get started with this: for example, you could make "button 1 pushed" turn on a light or something). No Dashboard necessary.

That being said, if you want to use a Pico or a dashboard to both "trigger" the same automation, you can do that too; you can simulate (virtual) pushes of a Pico button by adding a Pico to your Dashboard using the "Button" template and specifying the button number you want to make that Dashboard tile simulate a push of. You can't do this directly with hold or release events, but with those--or any event, including push--you could create a virtual button device and and just add that as an additional "trigger" for your automation (or otherwise make it do the same thing), then add that virtual button to the Dashboard ... or pretty much anything you can think of. But any of these scenarios don't seem like what you originally started out asking, so I'm not sure if they're really want you're looking to do.

1 Like

So it seems that a remote button solution, so far, is best served by the Pico remotes? I know aeotec makes a button, but I am not fond of the cosmetics. Am I correct to assume that the only reason to add Lutron Pro Hub is just for the pico access?

The Lutron Hub is also needed if you want to control Lutron light switches/dimmers from Hubitat as well. The Lutron switches are very reliable and you can use a Lutron Pico in 3-way or multi-way switch scenarios where you don't have a neutral wire at each location. You can also mount a Lutron Pico remote to the wall anywhere and put a wall plate around it to make it look like a normal switch. I've done this on either side of our master bed so that my wife and I both have switches that control the lights in the room. But because you can program a pico to do almost anything, it is also programmed to do various other things such as initiate our bedtime routine that turns off all lights in the house, locks doors, closes garage door, puts the hub in night mode so lights turn on dimmer throughout the night, arms the alarm, etc. Also have a shortcut that acts as a panic button that would turn on all lights and turn the sirens on.

I'll give you some other examples of how picos are used in our house:
-one on the outdoor patio that can turn on and off zone 2 of my Denon AVR for the outdoor speakers and control volume of zone 2
-one as the main light switch in each of my kids rooms that turns on the ceiling light, turns on a separate philips hue bulb and sets the color to 2700K on their night stand lamps, turns on a z-wave outlet for a little plug-in chandelier that hangs from the ceiling, and turns on the ESP32 that runs the LED strips under the perimeter of their bed. The round middle button also controls the overhead ceiling fans in their rooms. A single button press cycles through the speeds where a long press turns off the fan. When all lights are off and the on button is long pressed, the phillips hue bulb in the night stand lamps turns on low and at a really warm white for bedtime reading. Holding the off button turns off all lights but the led strip on the bed. There are also picos mounted in the top bed and bottom bunk of the bunk bed in one of the rooms. It is programmed so that any button pressed only toggles the phillips hue bulb on the night stand lamps on/off dimly so that if they have to pee in the middle of the night, they can press any button and have the lights go on and off.
-one in my living room that controls lights on the fireplace wall and the center button toggles the gas fireplace on and off
-one in my office on my desk that turns the office ceiling light on off and dims, center button press turns in the led strip that is mounted on the back of my monitors as bias lighting, for working in the evening, a long press of the center button unlocks the front door which is just outside the office so I can let people in when they arrive and I'm working.

The options really are endless! And the picos are so cheap they are such a good button device.

2 Likes

The Pico Remote is great. It is so thin you can mount it on the wall without cutting out the drywall.

There is also a pedestal for table top usage.

The battery lasts a really long time.

They integrate perfectly with Hubitat through the Caseta Pro Hub.

There are five buttons on the Pico and you can detect a press and a hold, so you can control a lot with just a single Pico.

Lutron Caseta is rock solid and the Picos never drop off from the network.

4 Likes

can some one help me to automate my lutron lights with my door lock in Hubitat
am not a programer and I could not add the pico switches to my Hubitat
I added the lutron hub but not picos
basically am looking to find some one to do this programming for me.
any one in uk near dunstable .plz let me know

Are your Lutron Caseta switches and your door lock already set up in HE and do they work from the devices page? If you have the devices already in HE, you have a lot of options for automating them, depending on what specifically you want to do.

mine is Lutron RA2 select and door lock is Yale Conexis L1 Z-Wave Lock

lutron telenet only showing in my devices /how can I add the picos switches to automate the lights on and off

Soinds like you Sat up the integration but never actually added any devices. Use one of the methods described here (the interactive wizard or the "manual" device list method) to add the Caséta devices to Hubitat. Sounds like you can skip the step of adding the apps and configuring a new integration since you've already done that, so just open the integration "child app" you created (the one under Lutron Integrator in your apps list) and start there.

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Lutron_Integrator#Create_a_New_Cas.C3.A9ta.2FRA2_Integration

1 Like

the steps showing in the link I done
my requirement is how can I on and off the lights .

It sounds like you want to create an automation, for example, using a button on a Pico to turn on or off a light in Hubitat. These automations are created using "apps" in Hubitat. There are many built-in apps in Hubitat, but the best place to start for what you described would probably be Button Controller or maybe Basic Rule (which, along with its more powerful grandfather, Rule Machine, can create pretty much any automation you want--but specific, purpose-built apps are usually easier to start with).

2 Likes

So once your pico is installed in the integration it will show up in the device list. So create a button controller (On the pico 1=Top 2= up dim 3=center button 4=bottom dim 5= bottomo)

Now set each button to do it's thing. Here is an example of one of mine..

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.