Lutron Advice

Needing some help and advice! I have my Hubitat setup and I purchased the Lutron SmartBridge Pro2 (L-BDGPRO2) which should be delivered today. I’ve been reading on this site, reddit, and everywhere in between and I’m a little overwhelmed on what I need to buy/replace to get everything setup. The picture shows the switch layout of what I have. The ones with a star are ones that I want on a dimmer. The others I don’t care as much about. This is new construction.

I have Alexa setup but nothing connected to it to control yet. Ring security. Sonos sound. Not sure if any of that matters.

1. Do I need to replace all of the switches in each group? Some of them I don’t care about being on a dimmer or timer but I wasn’t sure if I could have a “dumb switch, dumb switch, Lutron, Lutron” in a 4 gang setup (middle of the picture as an example). Or for the bedroom…having 1 Lurton for the light to dim but the other dumb switch doesn’t do anything (no ceiling fan installed).
    a. If you can have a combo of dumb and Lutron switches, where is a good place to buy wall plate replacements? I can only find ones where all of the switches would be Lutron (CW-2, CW-3, CW-4).
    b. If I can’t have a combo of dumb and Lutron, is the PD-6ANS the best to get regardless of amps etc for the basic on/off that I need?
  2. I know for the multi-pole location (ex: stairs going up and down, living room) I need to have 1 in-wall dimmer and 2 Picos at the other location. Does it matter which location I install the in-wall dimmer vs the Picos?
  3. I do want a motion sensor in each stair case so the lights come on automatically and go off after X amount of seconds with no movement. Any suggestions on the sensor?
  4. Any suggestion on smart plugs for lamps? I would like to use Picos to control them as well.
  5. Any suggestion on bathroom fan timers?

I’m sure I’m missing a ton or haven’t thought about other options so I’m open to any suggestions! If there are specific models I should look at, please add those as well. I’ve read to buy the dimmers with Picos so you have extra Picos for lamps, etc. Thank you in advance!

I'll take a shot at a couple of these.
Assuming that your existing dumb switches are standard toggle switches and not the Decora paddle format.
Assuming that's true you will find it difficult to impossible to find face plates that include toggles and decora format devices.
I personally really like the Lutron (Claro) screw less faceplates that ship with some of the Caseta bundles.
So at the get go I would plan on replacing every dumb switch that you expect to stay with a decora (paddle) equal.
As to where the caseta dimmer/switch would locate in a three way n way situation, you would need to find the junction box that contains the feed to the fixture, generally the supply from the panel is also (but not always) in this same box.
For the bath fan timers, i would consider caseta switches for these, then automate them with Hubitat.

3 Likes

Thank you! Yes, they are all standard toggle switches. I had a feeling I would need to replace them all.

Maybe. There’s also all manner of mixed toggle/decora wall plates available. With the Decora in various positions.

Here’s an example:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003A55ZF2/

I had this setup. Didn’t like it. Switched to all Lutron and Claro plates - The screwless look is clean!!

1 Like

nice find!, i hate faceplates with screws, but that's just me I guess...

1 Like

Ha - you replied while I was editing ..... also prefer the Claro look.

2 Likes

I had never seen the screwless faceplates before. The first Caseta dimmers I bought were the package with the dimmer, pico, and claro. I ended up replacing all the switchplates. It's an addiction . . .

3 Likes

Also note that the two-way and three-way circuits can be done with Pico remotes instead of traveler-wired switches.

2 Likes

The PD-6ANS requires a neutral, the PD-5WS-DV does not. The standard Lutron dimmers (PD-6WCL) also do not.

2 Likes

I had mixed switches in the same wall plate (until I got tired of the way they looked and went all Lutron) and there was a company that made an adapter plate for a toggle switch going into a "Decora" wall plate. Here's one that I found. You can also get custom wall plates made, depending on the style. But at the end of the day maybe just easier to replace the switch!

https://www.amazon.com/Taymac-AD40W-Paintable-Toggle-Adapter/dp/B001JEPXA8/ref=sr_1_1?crid=Z1DT6E0YQ4L1&dchild=1&keywords=decora+rocker+to+toggle+switch+adapter+insert+for+wall+plate&qid=1616007034&sprefix=rocker+switch+plate+insert+for+%2Caps%2C159&sr=8-1

1 Like

always go with a neutral if given a choice, so fewer issues in the long run.

3 Likes

I ended up replacing all the switches that were staying dumb with dumb paddle switches to keep the look consistent.

You can (or could) buy a pack of 10 for 16 bucks on Amazon.