Lowes IRIS Transition

I'm pretty sure this is the reason that there is a maximum number of lock codes on the lock device page - otherwise the hub would be capable of holding a significantly larger number. In the case of the 599 the limit is 19.

They also do not need a hub to program. The locks can be programmed in the absence of a hub. If the hub were required to validate a code on a lock you would find yourself sitting in the rain for a couple seconds for the lock to respond. That's why code verification is built in.

The Z-Wave logs posted only indicate that the lock was unlocked then locked manually.

For whatever reason, the lock ignored the code and thus did not report any activity to the hub.

@Dustyd5

FYI - No C Wire

An example of an option. Just wire the transformer to C and RH. If it's working, look at hiding the wire inside a wall :slight_smile: The special part of this is of course the exceptionally long wire for a wall wart.

1 Like

Thanks! Just tried this, though with a less decorative transformer and yards of lamp wire: was able to plug it into a closet outlet behind the reefer. No one will ever see it. Removed, Re-paired in powered mode, ran a Z-Wave repair which picked it right up. Now-- I wait.

4 Likes

16 posts were split to a new topic: Is there a way to see the target temp of my thermostat from dahsboard

Yes! This! Anyone know how we can get the supported keypads beeping again?

A post was merged into an existing topic: Is there a way to see the target temp of my thermostat from dahsboard

dandkmraz, do you mean beeping when arming away or beeping if an alarm is triggered or beeping when a door is open? By setting a delay for arming, I found it is beeping for setting away. I also selected the Siren Alerts part of what to do if the alarm was triggered. Right now I only have the Iris keypad configured. I will get the Utilitech siren connected soon and then that will be what I hope will be triggered for an alarm after I do so.

Another person did a lot of work 6 years ago on the Iris ZigBee smart plug and got it working through an XBee radio. Here’s a link to that work, and it’s quite detailed. Maybe it could help someone here develop the appropriate code.

https://jeelabs.net/boards/6/topics/285

Still in the middle of the ongoing transition from Iris to HE.
Through trial and error and lots of reading, some progress has been made that I thought I'd share in case it helps.
So far I've found not all Smartthings devices are created compatible.
The door/window contact sensors I found are not compatible can't even be seen. From what I gather they are ADT proprietary.
The Smartthings presence sensor does work. Their little $18 power plus is nice, you just have to change it from device to generic zigbee outlet. Although I wish o had bought a few more since right after the price jumped to $34. I've got 15 1st gen iris plugs to replace.
As a savings I bought the Third Reality switch, or over switch may be better. Those work real nice and no wires involved. Especially since it can be a pain to run a neutral wire just for the switch. The ST buttons work well too. Just a matter of adjusting the zigbee channel or resyncing already added devices.
The entire goal is to use HE for the base functions via rules, etc. Like alarms, pet feeder, etc. In case DSL drops, which happens often. That 1.2mb high speed broadband goes out whenever it rains, or the wind blows.
For the non basic functions like just turning on lights or a morning routine I use an echo dot for voice control. It's able to both iris and he devices and as long as you keep the device name the same no matter which hub, it works with the same rules.
By prioritizing things I can cut some costs with Wi-Fi switches or plugs for nonessential and z-wave or zigbee for higher priority under HE.
As far as priority, some of the iris items can wait and either get replaced later, or wait for that someday driver.
So the best thing I can add, plan it through, prioritize, cross your fingers.
After all, the biggest thing in home automation will be the days that the toilet paper holder can reload itself.

1 Like

Be sure to check the list of supported devices before you keep buying new components.

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=List_of_Supported_Devices

That's what I've found is you have to watch the list. Some devices give a model number, but some being sold may not show a number.
Like with iris, anything 1st gen won't work. Keypad, button controller, etc. Guessing 2nd gen iris may be iffy. Mostly it's a matter of finding a full on match and reading everything you can find. Like changing zigbee channels can get some items to pair.
Been into the simple lighting and rule machine to try and transfer a few functions over. Some do, some don't. So it's a matter of finding work arounds. If path a doesn't try path b.

The gen 2 zigbee devices are fine (most were made by centralite), while we may not have all the fingerprints, they should join, at which point you can replace Device with the appropriate zigbee driver.
The gen 3 devices got pulled from the shelves before we got to them, though we did get the motion sensor driver published. The gen 3 keypad sort of works now, a dedicated driver for that will be in 2.0.7 unless something unexpected happens, I cracked most of that bad boy today.
There shouldn't be any issues with zwave, other than fingerprints ect.
Wi-Fi and gen 1 (alertMe) devices aren't supported.

The official list of supported devices is kept up to date.
https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=List_of_Supported_Devices

About the biggest fun in all this is finding a device on Amazon at a good price, buying a few and finding the work real well and the the price jumps.
The plus is HE supports a greater number of devices.
In a few months after getting some of old routines to run as new ones the next step it to go one more with IFTTT and maybe set some sort of trigger with security cameras and HE to link it all in nicely.
Basically camera picks up movement in an area and sends email, email trips a response, response turns on lights. (or sentry devices)
Like if something gets in the garden and the camera spots movement the end result is the watering system sets off the sprinklers for a couple of minutes.
Right now though is getting the Alexa skill for HE to sync, or pair using the social login, keep getting an error.
So it's a matter of tampering with the laws of nature while trying to decide if it's worth putting a control unit in the ceiling fan.
Thats considering I could just stand up from the couch instead. But it would be cool.

Ok so I am in no way trying to be mean to anyone that reads this, but I have had my hub since November and if i’m correct most of my training and getting introduced to this platform came from the wonderful made youtube videos, and then I came here to get answers to things I couldn’t figure out so as far as the iris users needing a how to, ah the developers did in my opinion a fine job doing that with the YouTube videos. Again not trying to be mean to anyone.

1 Like

In transitioning from Iris, it is a leading curve.
While some of the device had issues, most didn't but it was all one brand. So it's just a bit of a hunt and peck to find which device and where to get it and at a reasonable price.
Example is an iris repeater, looks like the smartplugs but no socket. Obviously not the same as the one in the list. So it's compare, and look, then buy and try.
Just a little different that pick it off the shelf and take it home.
I'm sure those from any branded system has the same adjustment.
Personally I like a challenge, and this is. HE is setup real nice and is solid, with a whole lot of integration potential.
Though for Iris users, end of the month is it. So yes, lots fumbling to get things changed, I've done my fair share, finding that an ST contact sensor isn't necessarily the same as another ST contact sensor. Or removing an Alexa App just to find I should have left it because of trouble putting it back.
So yes, you'll see a few on here doing similar, but there is potential that as those of use that are new may come up with a work around or some other nifty bit. At least to lead the way for anyone else who asks, "how do I? "
Beside, think what this will be like in 20 years? Of course by then I more than likely won't remember.

1 Like

My wife stated tonight that she is concerned that my preparing for the migration from Iris is affecting my mental state.....apparently I was talking Zigbee and Zwave in my sleep last night.
I have not even connected the Hubitat hub yet, I'm trying to map out the possible solutions so that I can have a running system for some security functions ASAP, or use a Ring system to close the gaps until I get Hubitat sorted out.
"Local man loses mind over home automation migrations, film at 11..."

5 Likes

Ha! Man that sounds like my life. Just no your not alone.

3 Likes

You should point out that your mental state was already affected when you decided it would be fun to automate your house. :wink:

4 Likes