Lost all Z-Wave devices after firmware update

Edit: "Solved". I bit the bullet and Excluded/Included my 9 devices. Easier to just get things wrapped up on the weekend. Leaving this up because there were some good responses for anyone else with the same problem.

I've been running my C-7 for a year or so, no problems. Yesterday I updated from 2.3.5.135 to 2.3.5.138, and the "Z-Wave Radio Devices" table is now empty, "No data available in table".

• My Habitat Devices are still there (and Z-Wave devices still hold their Device Network ID). Dashboards, Apps, etc are all there. Only the Z-Wave device table seems affected.
  • I restored backup (multiple timespans up to a week ago, local and previously downloaded files), no change
  • Reverted back to .135 then restored backup, no change
  • Soft Reset then restored backup, no change
  • Ran "Repair Z-Wave", no change and no reported errors
  • Did a proper Shutdown, unplugged for a few minutes, no change
  • Experimented to Exclude then Add one Z-Wave device, and that worked

I have less than 10 Z-Wave devices, so manually rebuilding isn't a huge effort... but I also figure I shouldn't need to do that.

*Clarification: I don't think the .138 update directly caused this, or there would be a lot more people yelling. I have a separate system with many more Z-Wave devices that updated to .138 with no problem. Just providing all the facts around what happened.

This is classic "jammed Zwave radio" symptoms. You will need to power cycle the Hub. Settings: Shutdown. Yes, shut down, not reboot :slight_smile: When the LED goes red, unplug the hub and wait 10 seconds to let all the power run down inside the hub. This is the ONLY way to reset the Z-Radios. Then plug it back in. When it reboots, everything should be there again.

3 Likes

I’ve tried that, no change.
I can also watch the Z-Wave Log, and see messages coming in from my devices, but they don’t go anywhere.

In your attempt to fix it did you happen to reset the z-wave radio before attempting the full power down + 30 seconds then boot?

This exact example happens a lot with updates for some reason and so far that I have seen is 100% solved by a power down reboot.

Was the exclude/include done before or after the power cycle of the hub? Normally if the radio was locked, an include would not even work.

If you have Hub Protect a cloud backup restore can restore the zwave radio. Otherwise you will find the Swap Apps feature to be useful as you pair the devices again: Swap Apps Device | Hubitat Documentation

1 Like

@user1310 shut down from the settings menu and unplug power for 3 mins then power back up. That will clear the radio. A reboot does not clear the radio.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone, I decided to just rip off the bandaid and re-build the network manually. Nine devices, not a big deal.

PS: I believe Exclude/Include was tried after a full Shutdown, unplug, and restart.