Looking for someone to flash sonoff dongle as router. Will pay for service

Ha - my coworkers and trainees would disagree. But, appreciate the vote of confidence!

1 Like

Right now I have a bunch of extension cords running through the woods down to the gate so I've come up with a temporary solution. These will go in between the chords and hopefully get me signal down there. I just have to figure out a way to waterproof them.

Appreciate all the input. I still haven't decided on what's going to be the best way for me to finalize this. Hopefully this works for now.

A bunch of options:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=outdoor+plug+cover

These could also work, and would be very pretty. :wink:

Unbelievably all those ZigBee repeaters still didn't make it. I then figured let me try Z-Wave as it's ranges supposed to be much much better.

I bought some Z-Wave outlets and replace some of the older ones I had outside of my porch with the new units. Set up a Zen 17 to be a momentary switch. Then with a power bank hooked up to the Zen17 I would stop every 15 ft to check and it only gets me about halfway.

I'm getting pretty frustrated at this point. I am now looking into a power line ethernet adapter as it is a single circuit all the way down there. The issue is how do I convert from ethernet to Z-Wave or zigbee once I get down there? Another hub?

Yep another hub will do it. You can then use Hub Mesh to share the devices.

Z-Wave can only do 4 hops max..

No. I suggested this before. Why are you insisting on zigbee or zwave. A powerline adapter can have wifi on the far end. There is no reason to then put in another Hubitat hub. Just use a wifi device that supports hubitat locally.

2 Likes

Well even with WiFi at the garage via Powerline, which I think is an excellent alternative to running a line down there you could still have a separate HE hub if you really wanted to.

I'm not into WiFi smarthome devices but acknowledge they can be useful and that this would be the simplest solution to @user359's use-case as presented.

Im insisting on zigbee or z-wave as I need it to integrate with Hubitat and then be made available to Actiontiles for my Kitchen dashboard. All i want is a damn button on a screen to open the gate.

I know its simple to run wifi extenders and use a $25 Meross wifi garage opener but I was really trying to keep it local as a I have a parcel box for packages on the street side that I wanted to put a tilt sensor in and a mailbox 25' further down (The town wont let me bring it to my driveway) that was also going to get a tilt sensor.

You win. Im all ears man. Could you suggest a momentary relay for this case?

1 Like

I not sure on that. Originally I would have recommended a MHcozy wifi, since its basically the same as the zigbee on. Unfortunately mine went haywire and was acting eratically. Garage door opening and closing fir 12 hours, lol. Screw MHcozy. I guess you should look at some sort of Shelly, but someone else should recommend which.

You might have missed this earlier in the thread. The Shelly devices I indicated in this post referenced below can function as a momentary relay. They are WiFi devices that are Hubitat-compatible.

2 Likes

The WiFi MHCozy devices are not Hubitat-compatible. And AFAIK, they are not Tasmota-compatible either.

2 Likes

Here's a nice intro to the Shelly Wi-Fi relay opening/closing stuff (well a garage door in this vid).

2 Likes

Just wanted to keep everybody updated. I bought a POE switch, an outdoor POE switch, a Tp-Link EA225 outdoor WAP, a Shelly 1+, cable, connectors and an Ethernet adapter tool.

My setup is now this.

FiOS router -200' via coax to FiOS extender-POE switch- 300' to outdoor POE switch- 100' to outdoor WAP.

I have Wi-Fi where I need it but I cannot get the Shelly integrated into HE. I've been reading forum posts for hours. Kind of aggravated. Relay works fine via the Shelly app. Nothing via HE.

I think my next step is to just add 2nd hub down there.

I don't have any of the Shelly Plus devices, so shot in the dark... but maybe try this driver:

1 Like

Thank you. I'll try it when I get to the laptop.

You are a god damn hero. The driver worked! It will check state every 2 mins which is cool as I have the Shelly set up as a momentary. Dont know where you pulled that from but thank you so much. Its currently working on the bench and I was able to get it into ActionTiles. Ill report back when I get it in the field.

1 Like

Ok so I'm going to consider this 99% done. Thanks so much to everyone for the help.

Setup the Shelly as a button with an auto off after 2 seconds. Wired in the relay and tested it from my kitchen panel. She works!

I was a bit nervous as I had to switch the Shelly SSID to the outdoor WAP but the ip address stuck and everything worked despite being on 2 different wireless networks.

The only hiccup I'm having is the driver will sometimes not fetch the state of the Shelly 1 after it's 2 minute setting so the dashboard icon will sometimes always say on as it thinks it's a switch.

I tried to work around this by making a virtual button and using the button controller app to trigger the Shelly. This works but for some reason ActionTiles will not let me add the virtual device as a button. In fact, no virtual devices show up in the device list even after adding them to the ActionTiles app via Hubitat.

Not really sure what that's about but at least I can open the gate from the kitchen now. Just have to hit the button twice.

On the side note, I was trying to start setting up my POE cameras and I learned I am completely ignorant to anything home networking. Something about port forwarding and protocols. My head was spinning last night. 1 or 2 hours of reading and I'm no smarter than when I started. I think I'm just going to put a Ring camera down there for now even though I already bought all the POE cameras. I was attempting to use Tiny Cam Pro to get a url for a Media Tile but I could not get that ■■■■ figured out.

Again, thank you guys. Appreciate it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.