Looking for outdoor temperature sensor

My closest Costco is about 250 miles away, so, Amazon or Home Despot is the better solution.

2 Likes

This could be due to a signal that isn’t strong enough…

On the topic of batteries - if you have cold winters, you might want to consider Lithium batteries as they don’t get impacted by the cold as much.

2 Likes

Oh! I always do. I have some of those atomic clocks that do outdoor temperatures, and being I am in NE Tennessee where it can get down into single-digit F temps in the winter, lithium is the only way to go for the sensors.

1 Like

You could always spend a little more and get a Weatherflow Tempest... Get a little more than just temp reading :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

@fgrizzly

Here's a comparison from three temperature sensors that are within 10 feet of each other in my backyard.

Tempest Weatherstation:

ecowitt Outdoor Temperature/Humidity sensor:

Philips Hue Outdoor Motion/Lux/Temperature sensor

I had calibrated the Lux sensor about a year ago against an outdoor thermometer. It is currently reading a temperature of 85.3F, which is corrected to 84.2F.

Seems to me that they are all pretty close. The cheapest option is the ecowitt. The sensor + gateway are about $40, and the gateway integrates via the local LAN with Hubitat (no cloud needed).

3 Likes

While I also recommend the Hue outdoor sensor I am aware it's kind of spendy. Another possibility is the cheap Visionic contact/temp sensor on eBay. If you buy more than one you can knock the price down to about $5 each. Mount it as best you can to stay out of direct rain and than it should last awhile. Maybe put it in a ziplock type bag, be creative.

If your looking for local temperature only, consider pulling info from Weather Underground? You can store a value into a variable... I use a wierd method - my Blue Iris server has an overlay that pings Wunderground and stores the temp value. I run a macro that puts the string into an HE variable - at least I used to! The beauty is I can pull the data off a PWS (personal weather station) reporting about 2 blocks away at the local University... The price is right, at $.0 it's a steal!

This also worked, it's a bpt app.

I ordered a 2pack on costco.com for about $70 (so about $10 cheaper than buying two on amazon or at Home Depot) shipped. Got it in about 3 days. I dont know if you can order if not a memeber, or if you if the price might be higher.

I held off these for a long time, primarily because of the price, but im glad i finally did it. Fwiw, in my garage I have a Ecowitt multi channel temp/ humidity sensor. Im also really a fan of the ecowitt stuff for weather / environmental monitoring. Love having the plants tell me when they need water!

Do you have model numbers for either or both? I am looking at the Hue website and all I see is a sensor that resembles a little version of an outdoor light fixture, black with a lens, and it says nothing beyond it being a motion sensor. Hue seems to lack a lot of description qualities...

Not sure I replied. Thanks again if I did. Do you have a model number for these?

This is it:

That's the one I meant. Beast Buy has them at $40. Thanks.

1 Like

Their product information listed is useless.
No where does it give any details that lux, temp, humidity information is available.

Are you talking about the Hue sensor or the Tempest?

Hue does motion, lux and temp, but not humidity.

1 Like

Sorry. The Hue. I just spent 20 min fumbling thru their website, downloaded the manual and read everything on Amazon.
If Phillips can't put useful information out there, I can only imagin their customer support.

I must agree with your assessment of the lack of information provided on the Hue website.

Not the first conclusion I'd jump to in this particular case, but OK. Second only to Caseta, Hue stuff is the most reliable and butt-pain-free gear in my setup (both are leagues above everything else in those respects); I've never needed either's customer support for anything.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. The old saying goes, "You get 1 chance, to make a 1st impression ".
Most marketing firms know you have about 30 seconds before someone loses interest in a product someone showed interested in.

One reason they might not put that in manual is it's meant to be a closed system used with their own hub/app. IKEA is the same way and doesn't have a lot of specifics on their zigbee gear because it's all intended to be used in their integrated system. I trust people on here saying something works or has a certain support. If you want to discount a nice sensor because of that, that's your loss. I'm happy they made a product that works in a more general way and isn't handicapped with HE.

2 Likes