Looking for new alarm to work with Hubitat

I am 30 days away from my 36 month ADT (Command) contract ending. Im looking for something to replace it with that plays nice with Hubitat.

All of my doors and a few motion sensors are currently hardwired, but would like to add some wireless window contacts, breakage sensors, and wireless motions as well. I will pay for monthly monitoring, and want cellular and internet comm if possible.

I have been looking at a Honeywell Vista 20p, and Envisalink. Most likely will have an alarm company install it, but I want to go into it knowing what system I want, rather than some salesperson pushing me into the system they want to sell.

If you were starting from scratch, what would you do?

I suggest that you consider Ring Protect system.
There is an excellent integration with Hubitat.

3 Likes

I'd stick with what I have, which is Alarm Dot Com through Surety DIY. Monthly service is cheap for monitoring, albeit with a heftier up front cost since you pay for everything upfront. I do not use any of their home automation functions. I have the Qolsys IQ 2+ panel and use this driver to get the sensor data into Hubitat and automation for arming/disarming.

1 Like

Depends how DIY you are.

I use custom Nodemcu with konnected, plus an android phone with a payg sim card.

Stuff paying subs, IMO.

1 Like

Definitely Ring Alarm Pro. Super economical and a good integration via the Unofficial device drivers on this forum. It’s unofficial but it works great. I just installed mine and I’m super happy.

2 Likes

I was considering Ring, as its not as proprietary as the ADT I have now, but i would have to buy the wired to wireless bridge for all of my hardwired sensors, and as i understand it Ring transmits the sensor values back to the alarm control unit via Zwave. I'm not sure i like that for security.

My vote would also be for Ring. You would likely need to use their sensors which are Z-Wave. The cost is hard to beat at around $100 per Year!

Also, they have cellular backup and a very good monitoring system. I moved from Vivint to Ring and would never even consider ever going back to Vivint even though I really liked them at the time. They were ahead of their time when I had subscribed, but other companies caught up and surpassed them eventually.

1 Like