Looking for light switch

Please explain what kind of fan you have.

For example, we used to have just a regular ceiling fan and I used a Lutron Caséta fan controller. It had regular lightbulbs in it so I used smart bulbs in the fan. Now we have a fan that has a built-in LED and it only responds to RF frequencies. So in that case I use the RM4 Pro that was mentioned previously in this thread. It can be controlled directly from Hubitat and is a local solution. The Picos can then control RM4 Pro, and ultimately the fan. The way I control the RM4 Pro is with a Z-wave fan controller, but I’ve disconnected it from controlling the fan. It’s actually acting like a button controller (but I do this for a very specific reason).

1 Like

I'm going to go down to Lowe's and buy cheap ceiling fans to put in.

This should give you an idea of how Picos work. They are simply a remote.

I just purchased (2) of these and paired them to my C8 with no problem.
They seem to work good (on my desk). Not sure about anything else yet.

Z-Wave Plus Smart Dimmer Light Switch 3 Way | Built-in Z-Wave Repeater | Works with Existing Regular 3-Way Switch, Zwave Hub Required, Works with SmartThings, Wink, Alexa (ZW31)

$33.99
https://a.co/d/8NI7qAr

Then you could use the Lutron Caséta fan controller (assuming you want to automate your fans at all) and then put smart bulbs in them (assuming you buy a fan that allows you to put your own bulbs in it).

The Pico can then be the button controller for the lights. Picos have a mount available that lets you mount them to the wall or over an existing switch box. You then slide the Pico onto the mount and put the switch plate on it (per my picture above). You can even mount them anywhere on a wall, put a plate over it, and it will look and can be programmed to function like a Caséta dimmer switch was there. I did this in our old house. Put the fan controller in a single gang box, mounted the Pico on the wall next to it to control the smart bulbs in the fan, and put a double gang plate over the two of them.

Does anybody have a wiring diagram for the lutron switches that work with a fan/light. Wearing diagram so that I can figure out how to wire this stuff up can't afford to pay an electrician.

Are you trying to use a standard lutron switch on the fan side of things?

No I would like to use a lutron fan control/light switch or whatever switch would work. I would like a wiring diagram for whatever switch so I can wrap my brain around this please before I go out and purchase something that I don't understand how to hook up.

You can download wiring diagrams for Lutron devices from the Lutron website. For example, here's the installation PDF (with wiring diagram) for the Lutron Caseta Fan Speed Control switch.

1 Like