Looking for good radar sensors

Hey everyone,

i'm looking for some good and sensitive radar sensors. I'm planing to use these as presence sensors which don't require me moving around all the time. I've played around with the RCWL-0516 and I have to say, this thing is disappointing... According to different sources, it has a detection range of 3 meters up to 8 meters. Yeah, no. 10 cm max... No suitable for anything IMHO. So has anyone any recommendations. I'm using a NodeMCU with Tasmota 11 right now for this purpose. So that radar sensors are switches, I think any would be suitable.

Just FYI, I used RCWL-0516 in the past. I did not find any issue with its range. The 10cm that you see on yours is rather low. If you have another one, you may try to give it a try it could be a bad copy.

Another Radar sensor that I have used is below. I probably use the same concept as RCWL-0516 with different working frequency. I used it here for my DIY Arrival Sensor.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256802119347346.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.5fb018021UtOol&gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt

The above module and RCWL-0516 does not detect static human presence. They are PIR like sensors where there must be motion for it to detect presence.

There are other type of presence detection using Radar. They are given nickname mmWave. It is actually just much more advance signal processing where it can detect static human presence. These are more expensive. They are in the range of $30+. In addition, their typical current consumptions are 60mA or more since they require MCU or DSP to do signal processing. It is not suitable for battery operated project.

The basic technique is FMCW. I do not have FMCW based module at the moment to play around. I will get one eventually. I am curious how well the signal processing on these FMCW modules.

1 Like

Possible. I also had to play around with a capacitor just to get any signal out of it. Just plug and play as described on the tasmota webpage didn't work at all... :frowning:

That's the ones, I'm looking for! :smiley:

That wouldn't be an issue at all, as I'm planing to plug the sensor right into mains power. :slight_smile:

I'll have a look. Thank you, for the advice. :slight_smile:

@Vincent_The_Staat you can try the Tuya radars : [BETA] Tuya Zigbee Multi-Sensor 4 In 1 - #53 by kkossev

2 Likes

Looks promising. I think, I'll give it a try. :slight_smile:

1 Like