Looking for a white noise machine

Is anyone familiar with a white noise machine that's 1) compatible with smart switches and 2) has nightlight (RGB) functionality? That is to say that it turns on automatically when plugged in vs. using a momentary switch. There's a million of them on Amazon but I suspect most of them use momentary switches. I'm also open to a zwave/zigbee/hubitat compatible model if the price is right.

In the meantime, don't overlook the noise-making features and Skills of Alexa/Echo devices. You may be surprised how versatile they are, not to mention you can use the Echo Speaks app to initiate those Routines (or simply set them up in the Alexa app).

Examples:

3 Likes

Thanks - Could I shut off white noise via hubitat? Or can It only initiate routines?

You have a few options here (probably more out there that don't immediately come to mind):

1. Say to Alexa, "Set sleep timer for xx minutes" and she will go quiet then.

2. Include action that sends "Alexa, stop on Master Bedroom" via Echo Speaks.

3a. Create virtual switch "Stop Music" (whatever name you prefer, of course) in HE which gets included in the native Alexa app (don't forget to tell Alexa, "Run Discovery" whenever you add devices!!)... (Optional: Set its Auto-Off feature to 3s so this switch can be reused repeatedly throughout the day.)

3b. ... create a Routine in the Alexa app which gets triggered by the "Stop Music" switch, whose actions include, "Stop Playing" for the Echo device in question.

Really, you're only limited by your imagination here.

4 Likes

I've also had some success (though not recently) setting up an Alexa routine to stop when it hears snoring!

4 Likes

I use the whitenoise app on my phone and simply play it on the speaker on my night stand

1 Like

We have this noise machine. It does not have a light, but it does come on when powered. I have considered putting it on a smart outlet myself so I can control it. It doesn't have a light though.

1 Like

@garz is using a Govee H6057 with THIS.

Lamp

Sure am. :+1: It's pretty sweet for $50.00 that was the deal price on AMZN. I believe you can snag it direct from Govee with 10% off from the Govee Integration developer's @mavrrick58 discount referral link "

Plenty of sounds to choose from. It also acts like a bluetooth device. Only downside is that none of the whitenoise or scenes can be triggered from HE. However, a virtual switch sent over to Alexa can take care of that in a routine on that platform.

Before this, I'd trigger my Alexa's with a Vswitch to play a playlist from spotify or Amazon music, but sometimes alexa wouldn't play it or the spotify skill was borked for the day. Now It just triggers the white noise from the Govee device to play. I also have the same alexa routine turn off the white noise after a delay. I am not sure if sending an OFF command via HE turns off the white noise or just the light portion of the device, so I left the action in Alexa.

3 Likes

@garz I'm a bit confused reading your description. My primary use case is the on/off control of the device's lighting and noise from the light switch on the wall. Can both the light and sound of the Govee H6057 be controlled from HE? It sounds like no, but just wanted to confirm. E.g. I like to turn on white noise with a double tap at the wall at bedtime when I leave the kiddos' room. But, it's equally important that when I enter the room and turn on the overhead light that the machine shut off. Otherwise I end up hearing them all day long and it drives me nuts.

1 Like

The Govee integration gives you the ability to turn on/off (of the entire device), set color, colortemp, and adjust brightness.

Govee devices will turn back on to their last state. So if you always leave it in lets say night light mode and the device is seto to automatically play the audio(white noise) when turned on. The the simple on/off commands from Hubitat will be all you need for that.

It should be noted you link the ambient noise to scenes so then you only have to trigger the scene.

A work around for Hubitat to control scenes is to use Alexa with a virtual switch when you want a particular scene to activate. So if your kinds want to manipulate the device, but you always want it to go back to a certain scene for bedtime you would use a virtual switch in HE that tells Alexa to turn on the scene. You just trigger that switch with your button double tap.

One last thing to consider is that the device does have manual controls as well to swich through various settings.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have specific questions.

4 Likes

That's awesome and just what I need. The local control is nice because the kids can mess with it, but being able to on/off and reset to a clean state remotely is just what I need. Thanks, in for two on your ref link.

3 Likes

You can do all of this with a 10 dollar echo speaker and a 10 dollar smart rgb light bulb.

1 Like

Yes and no..

The OP asked for a single device that could do white noise and be a night light with the ability to auto start when power was restored from a smart plug.

Though a bulb and Echo speaker can provide some level of nightlight functionality and provide white noise they are not one device. Because this is more then one device it isn't going to be as user friendly to interact with for this purpose Also not all bulbs have the same ability to function as a night light.

This device from Govee is specifically designed around this potential need. I would also say that even though it costs a bit more then a Echo Dot at 25 and a smart bulb around $10 the added functionality and the fact it is all built into one item makes it a better option for the use case as well.

"Looking for a white noise machine" I am quite certain that kids of any race can be noisy. Opening your selection criteria to all races, will give you lots of options.

2 Likes

:joy:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.