Looking for a light sensor that works with Hubitat

Hey all,

I'm looking for a sensor that just measure light levels and works with Hubitat, can anyone help?

I've seen the Aeotec multisensors and the like, but I don't need the motion or temperature, just the LUX.

I'd rather not build my own if I can help it!

A model that only does light that I found searching is Climax LM-1ZBS. It is a pretty simple ZigBee model so it SHOULD work with Hubitat. But I did not find anyone selling them. It seems like multisensors have this particular space in the market.

Phillips Hue and Fibaro can connect directly to HE. They are multi sensors though.
Hue is zigbee. Fibaro zwave.

What about getting a AM6 using the community driver, and turning all the settings high except lux?

Too bad temp won't let you go higher then .70, but looks like you could setting motion super low and humidity supper high and they would not trigger a report.

Are you doing this to save battery power?

Thanks folks.

I'm primarily doing it to save money to be honest, I was assuming that as the multi-function sensors were around the £50 mark then someone should surely be selling a "light only" sensor for about £15 - £20.

I'm also something that's small and discrete, because WAF is a large part in getting all of this working and if I have to put up obvious sensors (especially ones like the Aeotech that change colour!) then this isn't going to fly at all. :frowning:

1 Like

Supply/demand more than competent cost. AM6 does not change color, but has an LED that turns green on motion (driver says it can be turned off, have not tried).

I understand the "non-discrete" WAF. My wife won't let me automate the bathroom light with one. She feels they look like cameras and visitors will freak out. :man_shrugging:

I'll be watching to see if someone has a better solution.

2 Likes

Try this!

That's just a motion detector, right?

I'm not worried about motion detection, I want to detect light levels and then act accordingly so I can setup stuff like

If LUX < 400:
    turn on light

That kind of thing - I'm not worried about detecting movement, because then the lights come on when someone walks into the room regardless of whether it's light or dark outside (in the autumn in the middle of a storm it can get really dark here no matter how far away sunset is)

The Hue motion sensor has a very good Lux sensor and updates the lux in real time unlike most other multi-sensors. I'm using one in my dining room for this exact purpose currently for turning on the lights only when low lux levels.

1 Like

Ah, ok, thanks, that wasn't clear from the Amazon description.

I'll take a look later on.

Had to check myself. Yep

Daylight sensor detects light

The Hue Motion sensor's integrated daylight sensor detects when there is still enough daylight so that lights do not turn on until you need them. If it's still too dark, adjust the light sensitivity of the sensor in the Philips Hue app to personalize when you'd like the motion sensor

Check in the cheaper (somewhat) column. Not sure it is much more "discrete"

I stand corrected, not sure how I missed that!

Thanks

EDIT: I removed this then added it back. It seems they are discontinued and only 1 left on ebay. However if you only need one maybe it is OK, so I put it back for your review.

Any tried these? Small and cheap. Reviews are very mixed, but I did find Hubitat drivers for it.

The Lux changes are not very quick to adjust and report. The sensitivity of the motion detection is crazy though and takes adjusting/tweaking otherwise it generates a lot of false positives.

Yeah, sorry, I should have made more clear that it was a Motion Sensor and a lux sensor. But I was in my car, and ran out of time! I don't use the indoor ones personally, but I use the outdoor ones solely for the Lux sensors. They've been great so far. Paired them with my Hue Hub initially to get the latest firmware, and then paired them to Hubitat.

The price is a bit higher than what you were looking for, but they are available in the UK which is a plus.

S.

Zooz, Dome and Neo look very similar. However, for some unexplainable reason, I had much better luck with the Neos; using them now.

1 Like

There are Inovelli 4-in-1 sensors (~ $34 on Amazon).
If you agree to synchronous reporting (min interval - 1-minute), they seem to report light, humidity and temperature well.

(Unfortunately, I also needed the motion sensor functionality but that turned out to be a disaster.)

I have one. The motion reporting on it is terrible. Slowest sensor I've ever owned. But it does lux pretty well. I now have it in a window sill to get outside lux reading and not using the motion at all.

I own the Hue motion sensors. I love them, fast accurate, temp/motion & lux reporting and a very robust connection.

I have no experience with the Inovelli one below, but love all their other products, so far
https://inovelli.com/4-in-1-sensor-z-wave/

I have three of the Inovelli 4-in-1 motion and they have done a good job for me and they are fast at reporting and been reliable and have not fail in the few months that they have been in service. I would recommend these.

1 Like