Looking for 12 VDC powered relay?

It will need to be a single DPDT relay. But I may have to use the zooz relay to control a secondary DPDT relay

same with mimo+ I like their devices.. anyway you could just write a rule that double checks that the other relay is not on before enable the 2nd..and vice versa..The only issue there is if the zwave reporting fails and it looses track of the state.. I have had that happen with both zooz and mimo+ I have ttried all three types of dry relays.

the big issue with all of them is they don't work as well on the edge of your mesh as you mention.. ihave the zooz in the garage with a extender and two other zwave switchs and it still is flakey at times.. same with the mimo i tried outdoors with the dog gate.. I have contacts sensors in both locations that never fail, but apparently receiving a signal is for failure prone than sending. I gave up on the dog gate and soldiered the relay output to a dissassemble gate remote..

you can always create rules to turn one on if the other turns off

Sorry but a rule is not an option because if the signal doesn't go through the first time there until the next signal gets sent there will be a short. In my experience relying a rule or signal to prevent a short is not an option it needs to be a guarantee that only one contact is closed at a time so I will need a DPDT relay.

depending on how the wires to the actuator go, you could feed it back to the switch inputs to help trigger the other: Output 1 -> Input 2 and Output 2 -> Input 1. This way when 1 turns off, it'll create the short to trigger 2 and have it turn on. all device based, not ruled based

I can certainly agree with that. A few observations for your consideration:

• It sounds like you realistically need a 3-state solution (OFF/FWD/REV). This can be accomplished with an SPST (to enable or disable) plus an SPDT (to select forward or reverse). Not certain if that affords you additional device options.
  • I have one application for which I use 2 SPST relay outputs to trigger logic for an external circuit. It is overkill, but I needed a 24V H-Bridge output and did not find a viable off-the-shelf solution.

Finally, put me in the category of those that have a good experience with Zooz ZEN16, even if may not be an appropriate solution for your application. Mine is in a weatherproof enclosure, triggering pool pump digital inputs. Even being 30+ feet from its nearest neighbor, it has been quite reliable.

I just saw @dadarkgtprince's response, and there is merit to looking into this. Zooz has a ton of parameters and settings for this device. It may be viable to criss-cross outputs as "disable" signals for the opposing direction.

The mimo2+ has both nc and no connections, so with a pair of them, you could wire an interlocked dual relay system. Can't do it with the Zooz.

Looking over the documentation for Zooz ZEN16 firmware v1.03, they already have break-before-make built into the controls with "DC Motor Mode". I just needed to activate RTFM.

1 Like

I don't believe DC Motor Mode is available in the Hubitat driver. Have to go poke the values with Z-Wave config tool, or write your own driver. FWIW, if it's going to cause a short/fire, I might worry a bit about that parameter being accidentally reverted by config change or firmware update.

1 Like

Very, very fair point. Intrinsically safe.

Going back my example of using 2 relays as digital control inputs to an H-bridge driver - might make sense here. In the off chance that it might help anyone, below is a link to the PCB that I made for the XOR logic and driver. Designed for 24V and 12V is probable the lower limit. Happy to share source files (Diptrace) with anyone that might want to tweak it for their own purposes.
https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/bBpLCCz5

1 Like

@agnes.zooz do you know if the ZEN-16 can be put into DC Motor Mode in HE?

No. The driver does not know of config parameter 24:

1 Like

Taking a wild swing here, but could this be set with something like "Basic Z-Wave Tool"? I haven't really played with it much and do not necessarily advocate for such a solution.

I spent part of this morning updating my firmware from v1.01 to v1.03 ... but needed to get the device back to its day job.

Yes, it certainly could. But...

Duly noted that this might not be ideal for every situation. Just making sure to capture what can be for the sake of posterity - the folks that come here on some related search term.

I'm not fond of control systems that don't present their own safety interlocks.

I have a multi-relay door controller application/driver that I wrote. Even though I advertise that the individual relays are expect to provide auto-off relays, I also include interlocks in the application code. It works about as well as something attached to a radio can, but I would never depend upon those interlocks if failure meant a fire. :slight_smile:

The door controller it manages, an INMOTION, provides its own hardware based interlock as well to prevent motor burnout.

1 Like

I ordered my zen-16 and believe that I can get my mechanical relay interlocks in with 1 DPDT relay and 3 SPDT relays. The DPDT relay will act as my reversing switch. One STDP relay will cut all power to the motors when R1 and R2 are not energized. And the last 2 relays will cut control power to the other relays. I will post a drawing once I get it working but it may be a few days I don't have the parts yet.

Am I also to assume that the switch inputs to the relays are directly wired and don't rely on zwave to work?

Correct. Z-Wave is required to configure the ZEN16, but once configured Z-wave is not required to operate the relays using the built-in switches. @agnes.zooz can confirm.

Confirmed! The inputs on the ZEN16 are fixed to the outputs so a switch connected to the Sw terminals will always trigger the load connected to the R terminals, even if the device is not added to Z-Wave.

@bcopeland any chance we can get the driver updated for the ZEN16 that will include the new parameters and garage switch mode added in firmware 1.03?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.