Looking for 12 VDC powered relay?

I am looking for a z-wave or zigbee relay but prefer z-wave because everything else is z-wave that will run off of 12 VDC or USB power. I have found this relay
https://www.amazon.com/Aeotec-Switch-controller-Z-Wave-Compatible/dp/B06XWT1L5S/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=zwave+relay&pldnSite=1&qid=1613342734&sr=8-7
but it will only run on 120 VAC or 24 VAC. It needs to be able to switch a 12 VDC power source to a linear actuator.

Sorry but I do not want to use WiFi devices.

1 Like
7 Likes

Mimo+ or qubino

I am using one to turn on the exterior lights on a travel trailer, strictly 12vdc, works great.

We are using it to light up the pantry cabinets 12 led strips

+1 for ZEN16

Alternatively you could use something like https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07587NZTC and use a smart plug to trigger it. The contacts are dry contacts, so you can put whatever you want on the end of it. I'm currently using it to control my garage door (12V)

i dont see anywhere that says it is dry contacts in the info.. I have issues with the zooz and routing.. much better results with the qubino.

FWIW, I have had very good experience with the ZEN16.

Routing issues are generally mesh issues... It's not like these devices all use different chips implemented by different manufacturers. They may have different antennas and such, but they all route the same.

2 Likes

Thanks. I'll have to look into that one. But I am thinking that it needs to be a DPDT relay of some sort. Since I am using it to control a linear actuator for both up and down I am worried if the using 2 different relays may lead to both relays be closed at the same time causing a sort. Or I will have to come up with a complicated circuit with multiple limit switches and relays to protect against that.

both zooz and mimo have dual relays.

It will need to be a single DPDT relay. But I may have to use the zooz relay to control a secondary DPDT relay

same with mimo+ I like their devices.. anyway you could just write a rule that double checks that the other relay is not on before enable the 2nd..and vice versa..The only issue there is if the zwave reporting fails and it looses track of the state.. I have had that happen with both zooz and mimo+ I have ttried all three types of dry relays.

the big issue with all of them is they don't work as well on the edge of your mesh as you mention.. ihave the zooz in the garage with a extender and two other zwave switchs and it still is flakey at times.. same with the mimo i tried outdoors with the dog gate.. I have contacts sensors in both locations that never fail, but apparently receiving a signal is for failure prone than sending. I gave up on the dog gate and soldiered the relay output to a dissassemble gate remote..

you can always create rules to turn one on if the other turns off

Sorry but a rule is not an option because if the signal doesn't go through the first time there until the next signal gets sent there will be a short. In my experience relying a rule or signal to prevent a short is not an option it needs to be a guarantee that only one contact is closed at a time so I will need a DPDT relay.

depending on how the wires to the actuator go, you could feed it back to the switch inputs to help trigger the other: Output 1 -> Input 2 and Output 2 -> Input 1. This way when 1 turns off, it'll create the short to trigger 2 and have it turn on. all device based, not ruled based

I can certainly agree with that. A few observations for your consideration:

• It sounds like you realistically need a 3-state solution (OFF/FWD/REV). This can be accomplished with an SPST (to enable or disable) plus an SPDT (to select forward or reverse). Not certain if that affords you additional device options.
  • I have one application for which I use 2 SPST relay outputs to trigger logic for an external circuit. It is overkill, but I needed a 24V H-Bridge output and did not find a viable off-the-shelf solution.

Finally, put me in the category of those that have a good experience with Zooz ZEN16, even if may not be an appropriate solution for your application. Mine is in a weatherproof enclosure, triggering pool pump digital inputs. Even being 30+ feet from its nearest neighbor, it has been quite reliable.

I just saw @dadarkgtprince's response, and there is merit to looking into this. Zooz has a ton of parameters and settings for this device. It may be viable to criss-cross outputs as "disable" signals for the opposing direction.

The mimo2+ has both nc and no connections, so with a pair of them, you could wire an interlocked dual relay system. Can't do it with the Zooz.

Looking over the documentation for Zooz ZEN16 firmware v1.03, they already have break-before-make built into the controls with "DC Motor Mode". I just needed to activate RTFM.

1 Like

I don't believe DC Motor Mode is available in the Hubitat driver. Have to go poke the values with Z-Wave config tool, or write your own driver. FWIW, if it's going to cause a short/fire, I might worry a bit about that parameter being accidentally reverted by config change or firmware update.

1 Like