Long Time Away - Now back

So I purchased my hub a while back, added all my devices and tried to learn Rule Machine. I didn't get very far, got frustrated, and life events took my focus away from my smart home.

Well now I'm back, with some time and trying to give it another shot.

I've added some new devices to my collection (but didn't add them to Hubitat).
Everything is very foreign to me and I need to get back into it.

1. First I updated my hub - was MANY versions behind
  2. Went to add my new Lutron devices... but the Lutron Integrator app NEVER OPENED. Nothing I do can get it to open. Any help with this?
  3. Since I've been away, do you think I'm better off wiping everything and starting fresh or better to try and pick up where I've left off?
  4. Since coming from version 2.1.3.128 (roughly), anything major I need to check out?

Regarding the Lutron integration app, if you haven't tried totally removing it and adding it back, that's worth a shot. If it won't load at all to let you even get that far, click the cogs/gear (aka info/status) icon next to the app in your list ("Apps" on the left), which should bring up a page that will always have a "Remove" button at the bottom. If you see a "parent" and "child" app, to be extra cautious, I might start with removing the child app and then the parent (Lutron Integrator) app; if you only have one, then just that one is all you can do. All of this assumes you're even able to get that far (see my suggestion/opinion below if not).

For whether you should effectively start over: if you don't have anything on Hubitat that you care to keep (or wouldn't mind re-creating it), I don't think it would hurt to start over. The only thing you have to lose is your previous automations and device pairings, plus whatever time it takes you to re-create everything as a result. :slight_smile: If you don't have a lot, that may not be very much; for others, it would be unthinkable. If you want to do this, I'd ask for some guidance on how to do a full reset, which will erase all your device pairings, database, etc. (in particular, note that even restoring from a backup after this will do you little good besides showing you what you once had). If you can't get the Lutron app to even attempt an installation, this would be one more reason to prefer this option, but that's just my opinion on your situation--feel free to make your own choice.

I looked through the release notes and (less reliably) my memory since 2.1.3, and here are what I'd consider major changes from then until 2.1.9:

• Lots of new drivers for new devices and more existing drivers tested for more devices (as usual)
  • Lots of minor app changes/additions and bug fixes (as usual)
  • SMS retired (use push notifications or a third-party service like Twilio instead)
  • Rule 3.0 and Button Controller 3.0 retired (existing instances are fine; new users just can't install them if they aren't already--and Button Controller is actually returning as a standalone app in 2.2.0)
  • Thermostat Scheduler: facelift and new features

If you care about any apps or devices in particular, browsing through the "Release Notes" category on the forum will show you only those topics and might be a good idea: Release Notes - Hubitat.

thanks!

So I'd definitely be open to wiping clean - whats the best way to reset everything?

With regards to Lutron - I deleted the apps (both parent and child) and now when I try to re-install it, nothing happens. Stuck on the "loading screen" but the circle just keeps going round...

Settings tab.
Backup and Restore button.
If you want to restore a previous Platform Version [click here link]

Once you click on that link, you should see a whole new menu with a bunch of options. Use them carefully, although you don't have much to lose.

1 Like

Tried a soft reset by going to [myHubIP]:8081/
Was able to navigate to that page
I clicked on "soft reset", then it takes me to a warning screen and tells me to type "soft reset".
I type "soft reset" and hit the button and now getting Error Code 401

:frowning:

Can't even reset this thing without an issue..

sorry did not work.

Logging in requires the MAC address with the colons correct?

They required it twice for me to get to the page, but I still get the error 401

Hmm. I just did a quick search and found that. BobbyD from the other post would be one to trust about that error.

I would be tempted to wait just a bit, try again, and pull the plug. But that has risks. But first, did you try this? https://portal.hubitat.com/

Oh, and I forgot to ask if you checked your router to see if your hub got a new IP. Mine did when I did something similar when I first got the hub.

At this point, I'd probably try a hard/full reset (not recommended without some guidance, but the takeaway is that it will erase your radios and all pairings, plus everything a soft reset would do; the difference is that restoring a backup will not get you back to where you were). It's possible that could fail in a manner similar to your soft reset; if it does, hopefully it's just the minor issue BobbyD mentioned in the other thread. If you're copying and pasting the MAC address, make sure you don't have any leading or trailing spaces. The above advice is good; I might also add that you may want to make sure any aggressive blocking (adblocking, script blocking, cookie blocking, etc.) is disabled for the diagnostic page in case it relies on any features such browser addons might be restricting.

If none of this works or you see anything that makes you concerned, you might want to reach out to official support, support@hubitat.com (or I could tag BobbyD here--just don't want to bog him down if you feel comfortable proceeding) for further guidance on how to reset your hub or to see if they have any other ideas that may help.

what guidance do i need? thus far unsuccessful in doing a soft or hard reset

Start a trouble ticket. Click the "support" button on the top of this forum, and send an email. Be sure you get a trouble ticket response and ticket number. You should get an automated response immediately with this ticket number.

You can also tag support by using @ bobbyD (take out the space after @) here on this board.

Thanks!

@bobbyD I think I PMed you, but in case I didn't do that correctly, could you please follow up with me?

1 Like

@jsc If I have to ever use the

http://HUB_IP:8081

I always use a new "incognito/private" window to make sure my session is "clean" and ensure no 401 errors.

Maybe try it while you wait for bobby to reply.

4 Likes

THANK YOU!!

I tried closing the browser, tried a separate browser but THIS finally worked!! (well it's trying to reset now, but definitely farther than I've ever gotten).

5 Likes

yeah it seems Hubitat still keeps the session "alive". I use Firefox primarily, so when I need to reset I use Chrome and incog to make sure my session is clean.

It is sad to say, but I finally gave in and had Chrome save my hubs MAC address ('password') to make the process go faster :man_facepalming:

Let us know how it goes and how we can help get you back in the HE world successfully!

1 Like