Lock suggestions

I'm using hubitat zigbee and have been looking for a remote lock for the front door for a while. The current one is a Yale type square lock with a keyhole on the outside of the door.
I really need to be able to get hold of a lock that I can remotely unlatch without getting up (health related reasons) but the outside of the door can't be changed (ie whiny management company if I put in one of those locks with a nice chunky external component).
Smartlife WiFi/Zigbee might be acceptable but I've not been able to track down anything suitable..

If anyone has any suggestions?

Rosie

How about Schlage zigbee?

There are some Zigbee smart locks, but all I know of require replacing the entire lock. August Home makes some smart locks that mount on the inside of your door, preserving the exterior appearance. However, their devices either use WiFI or Z-wave.

Hubitat can control the August Zwave device directly through the built-in driver. If you purchase the Z-wave device, since you do not already have an established Z-wave mesh, you might need to add one or more Z-wave repeaters, depending upon how close your front door is to the Hubitat hub and how many obstacles are between it and the door.

The August WiFi devices can be controlled by Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, or Apple Siri if you purchase the August WiFi bridge. I do not have an August lock, so I do not know if if will work without the bridge if you have a WiFi router. There is an August Home community integration for the August Home WiFi locks. You can learn more here:

https://community.hubitat.com/t/release-alpha-version-of-august-home-wifi-door-lock/57189

1 Like

I bought the August Wi-Fi 4th generation because I'm in a rental house and it works great with the community integration so far. It does like to go through batteries though. It installs in like 10 minutes. I also have the Switchbot wifi lock that is even easier to install and that community app works well too.

1 Like

Actually Kwikset makes a zigbee "Smartlock Conversion Kit" that only replaces the inside portion of a deadbolt, leaving the exterior alone. Here's the amazon link.

I'm pretty sure this works with Hubitat (@ogiewon, correct me if I'm incorrect on this).

All that being said, I guessing that @RosieUK is in the UK. If that is the case, none of the options described here will work with the lock on their door.

2 Likes

It is my understanding that Yale and August are part of the same company. August is their primary brand in the States, Yale is the primary brand is Europe. Thus, there may be Yale locks that are similar to the August ones here.

Both companies are now owned by Assa Abloy. Yale has been owned since 2000, August was acquired in 2017 and folded into Yale. Most of the IOT is based on August technology. Assa Abloy is in the process of selling both along with Emtek to Fortune Brands for anti-trust reasons.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.