Lock Code Manager

Ok, question number 2 for the day...

I updated the Z-Wave modules in my locks yesterday and have been adding them back into my network. (I have questions and some issues with that in another thread.)

I have successfully added in my lock, but when I try to do anything in LCM, i get the following errors in the log file...

UserCodeReport- unable to enter code, it is in use on the lock

These locks are empty... Not only did the new modules come clean from the factory, I have done multiple factory resets on them to get them to add back into the Hubitat system... There are NO lock codes on the device...

From trying about a thousand things (yesterday was very painful), it is my opiniion there is a problem with LCM.

I have removed LCM and added it back and it retains all of its previous info...

I have tried to delete users and add them back. When I did that, it just returned to the LCM screen without adding the new account...

This tells me there is a problem with LCM and not my devices per say...

Anyone else having issues with LCM? Is there a way to fully remove it and start over?

As I do not see what lock you are referring to I believe schlage locks auto populate at least two codes upon factory reset.

Sorry, they are Kwikset 910's... Well sort of, I replaced the Z-wave radio in one of them with a Plus module... It is paired to the hub just fine and shows 30 empty spots...

Also, I can add or delete lock codes directly in the device, but not through LCM...

Ah ok. There went my shot in the dark...

1 Like

Are you able to add codes from the device edit page?

Nope, not there either... Keeps giving the following error no matter where I try to enter them... Except for in the lock itself... :flushed:

Have you tried adding codes through the device's settings? I don't have experience with Kwikset but with Schlage or Yale you can turn on or leave off the encryption option (I turned it on) and you can set codes via either the devices settings or via LCM as long as the lock code number you choose 1-??? (max number is dependent on the lock) is empty. I first used the lock keypad sequence to "erase all lock codes" on all of my locks.

That would point to a communication issue then, instead of a lock code manager issue, if the communication problem gets resolved I would assume LCM would work.

I would recommend adding aeotec repeaters/amplifiers

Or you could keep the hub right next to the lock until you get lock code manager configured. but long term you will probably still need the repeaters/amplifiers

If you mean in the device tab, I did and no go from there either... I do have the encryption button off... It's been that way with my locks since when I first came over to Hubitat from Iris in February... Should I have that on?

The funny thing is last night I tried deleting a user in LCM so I could try adding the user back in... When I finally got that user out, and tried to add the user back in, it wouldn't do it... Basically added the user, code and selected the various locks and keypads... It just returned to the LCM home screen without doing anything...

I'm familiar with how to click in different areas of the screen to make sure it takes... All looked good and it just disappeared.

I've read reference to code and users being stored in the driver and not LCM... Is there a way to reset the driver?

I don't think you can manage lock codes with encryption disabled

I haven't ever tried to manage lock codes with Encryption disabled as I saw that option and enabled it right away and since it worked left it enabled. The lock codes are stored in EPROM on the lock itself rather than in Hubitat's driver or anywhere else for each lock (although Hubitat's DB will contain a list of users you have setup within LCM for ease of use) Make sure the lock is set to the same code length you are attempting to input, many only accept 4 digit pins, some are configurable to up to 8. From the lock itself you cannot use any of the lock codes you've used in the past to unlock currently?

If you can't add codes from the device page then LCM wont be able to either. My guess would be to troubleshoot there.

What driver are you using for these locks? Have you pushed configure in the driver detail page?

I have pushed configure and I'm using the generic z-wave lock driver... I've done factory resets on the lock itself and can confirm it is empty... The only thing I havn't done is to enable the encryption... As I was saying before, that has always been disable since I first brought these locks over from IRIS to Hubitat... When I did that I went into LCM, created users and added pic codes to my locks and keypads...

So this is basically a brand new lock (since I added the Z-Wave Plus module and took out the older one). I have my users already set up with their pins in multiple locks and keypads...

When I go into add this new lock back to those users, I get the following error in the logs..

I could be wrong, but it really seems there is something wrong with LCM... Or maybe how I'm using it... :joy:

Ok, just selected the encryption option... I have codes loaded into the lock manually right now... So I'm on the device page and trying to download the codes in the lock..

dev:6782019-05-28 08:43:19.736 debugfetchLockCode- 1
dev:6782019-05-28 08:43:19.733 infostarting code fetch, trying to fetch code:1
dev:6782019-05-28 08:43:09.957 warnencryption is: true
dev:6782019-05-28 08:43:09.955 warndescription logging is: true
dev:6782019-05-28 08:43:09.953 warndebug logging is: true
dev:6782019-05-28 08:43:09.951 infoupdated...

That's it... Nothing happened... No codes downloaded... Nothing

1 Like

I don't think LCM can ever do anything with lock codes entered manually on the lock. It sounds like some issue with that Z-Wave Plus module not working completely with the lock itself if you were able to manage these locks with the old Z-Wave modules installed. Have you contacted Kwikset to see if they have any idea?

That could be an issue... I only have one module switched out for the plus right now... I played with two other locks and had to remove them from the system... Having problems adding them (original radios) back in...

It is my understanding that Lock Code Manager can only send the lock codes to the lock, it can not retrieve codes stored manually in the lock

2 Likes

This is correct. No lock allows their codes entered at the lock directly to be read bike external software.

Back to what @waynespringer79 said, if you cannot enter a code via the driver that you will never be able to enter it via lock code manager. You must resolve that communication issue first. If this is a Z wave plus module then it should pair securely. If it does not your lock is not going to work correctly.

Try excluding (General exclusion) and then include it again. Keep trying until you get it securely. Some people have to try several times with some locks.

1 Like

Please read this thread, as this appears to be the missing link in most peoples issues. New to Hubitat and having problems with Kwikset 914 z-wave

LCM manages lock codes encrypted or not encrypted, there is no requirement that any or all codes are encrypted or not.

This depends on the lock, all locks except Schlage will send any physical code adds or deletes to the driver.
Schlage does not send any resident codes to the driver when a user code report is requested, this is not a driver limitation, this is an implementation choice made by Schlage.
So for Schlage locks, all existing codes need to be deleted, then added back in via LCM or the driver.

In regards to LCM retrieving codes from a given lock, LCM uses the values in the lockCodes driver attribute.
It doesn't retrieve codes from the lock directly.

3 Likes