Lock Battery Level Value (Yale Assure Lock 2 Z-Wave)

Is it possible to find the battery level (percentage value) for a Yale lock? I would like to use the actual battery level value on the notification to my phone.

The lock does report its battery status. I am triggering an app using the battery level and notifying my phone that the battery is "low" ... but I would also like to include the actual value in the notification.

I would use the built-in notifications app for this instead of RM. Much simpler to set up. You can literally include every battery device connected to Hubitat with just one toggle.

Just include the variables %device% and %value% in the text of your notification and that will be replaced with the actual device name and value in the sent message.

3 Likes

Thanks for the fast response. I spent a lot of time on phrasing that question, and I still wasn't clear.

I'll try to clarify ... How do I find the name of the "value" for the Yale lock battery battery charge percentage? i.e., %???%

I have had some amusing results using apps other than RM ... but I guess I could look at notifications again too.

Look under custom attribute when you are doing your notification

Easiest way (null will change to lock name when triggered)

1 Like

Rick, Thanks for the response. :clap: I did some more reading about RM "custom attributes" and now I think that I understand. Actually, in my RM app, I was using the %device% and %value% correctly ... but my test method was incorrect. I was running the actions from inside the rule, not using the App lock trigger event. My guess is that using the "Run Actions" function does not allow the Actions to understand that I am checking the lock ... so my test failed, providing no value for %value% etc. So, a learning experience for me!. :grinning:.

Another hint that I should have picked up is that the local variables are listed on the RM rule ... :triumph:

I also checked out the Notifications App as per Andy's suggestion. :clap: Quite impressive! :+1: Which is where I realized my test method error. That is, I realized that because the Notifications app tests multiple batteries, but still uses a single %value% for the notification, the %value% must be linked to the trigger by Hubitat (not me specifying a variable name). So I also got the Notifications app to work ...

So actually I'll use both RM and Notifications for different functions.

You can populate the created battery variable from the lock itself. In general, I don't write battery rules. I simply use HSM and monitor all batteries and it sends me a message when any battery using device gets down to 15%. Doesn't matter if it's locks, sensors, etc. It's simple and effective. That combined with @bertabcd1234 's Device Activity Check for those occasional times when a device drops off the mesh.

Thanks for the hint wrt Device Activity Check. That's actually the area I was looking for help before I got distracted with battery checks.

My Konnected Alarm system went offline for 5 hours, and I would have like notification of that happening. I pinged @bertabcd1234 to ask if he had any ideas. We'll see ... but I'll probably push further questions into another thread.

For land based devices, simply send a ping and when failed send notification.

1 Like

Wow ... well there is nothing like a personal mentor to get things going in the right direction!!! :clap:

Three new apps online in a few hours. Thanks. :grin:

So I hadn't used or read about pinging before ... but this got me going in the right direction. https://community.hubitat.com/t/rule-5-1-added-ping-action/81677/3. So both my Konnected boards are being pinged every 30-minutes ... We'll see what I can find.

You can use @thebearmay 's Hub Information Driver to monitor memory, ping, temp etc... If you haven't installed it, I would install Hubitat Package Manager. It makes it easier search for and to install stuff. Read this post, it will have a link to Hubitat Package Manager...

Tile Display

Active attributes usable for rules.

Excellent ... I'll check it out. I think my hub is fine. It's my Konnected board(s) that are going offline ... and I am trying to collect enough debug information prior to submitting a ticket to Konnected.

Your "ping" solution is online for me now!

1 Like

Yeah but you can use hub information monitor to ping too

Oh ... OK ... I see your point. The RM ping app is already yielding results.

1 Like