Local Files in Rule 4.0

I know html is intentionally stripped out of notifications for security reasons. Maybe itā€™s the same for local files?

Yeah, I guess so too.
Boo!

Bumping this thread in hopes to get groovy access to the file space. Would be awesome.

2 Likes

Hi @Bloodtick_Jones!

Take a look at this:

It is not perfect - but it works.

agreed! =)

1 Like

Hi @djh_wolf!

I've developed a "crude" way of accessing local files inside apps/drivers.

It is not a elegant soluction, but works.

Take a look:

Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks @maffpt

Think it may be above my head, but I do appreciate it. =)

Is there any way to write special characters like Ƅ Ƥ ƶ etc. to a local file?

I would try using HTML symbols ā€¦

HTML Symbols

When I use it at messages sent from RM it works - I believe it worth a try.

Doesnā€™t work (I couldnā€™t get it to work). Tried ö which should show an ƶ but I get ƃĀ¶ in my local text file.

Well ā€¦ at least you tried :wink:

Were exactly are you using the ƶ character?

The Swedish alphabet is using Ć„, Ƥ and ƶ. For example, Iā€™m using those letters to send notifications to our kids phones. Like when the dish washer are ready to be emptied. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just asked Google about those characters and it seems like they create some problems elsewhere too.

May I suggest you open a support ticket with Hubitat?

May be able to use the alt keyboard codesā€¦

How do I use those codes when writing or appending to a file in RM? I have no problem typing Ƅ Ƥ or ƶ but it shows garbage characters in the file.

If itā€™s not storing them after being typed then the codes wonā€™t work as they just generate the extended character set.

Running this (typed by using alt 0228 and alt 0229)

Generates this

:thinking: Looks like the file isn't being stored with the right character set, not sure if we can change that.

If I can add to the list of use cases..

The Australian Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) capture rainfall radar images (png) files covering the country, making them publicly available for viewing through their mobile app and website, but also as files via anonymous FTP / Telnet. I would like to be able to download these files periodically (using a driver or app) and store them locally for display on my dashboard. They only keep a short history of recent images, so I would only be storing ~5 images at any one time, totalling ~22Kb.

I expect I will download them on my raspberry pi for now and look to introduce this onto my HE hub if/when I can.

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but when using RM action to write to a file, is there a macro for temperature of a device that can be used to write or append the text file?