Local Control Options for MyQ Garage Door Openers

I'm torn on this. On the one hand, the oxygen thing is real. But how far from the road my house is, and direction of the garage, nobody would see it smoldering for (possibly) hours if the door stayed shut. If the door was opened upon fire, maybe the smoke and flames would attract attention?

And the other thing I thought about doing is opening the garage and unlocking all the entry doors so maybe a neighbor could check on things, or maybe they could even let the animals out of the house in case of emergency.

Not sure what the right answer is here???

hrm... If attention is your goal, siren?

I am setting up the Zen16 and a Chamberland clicker to open and close both doors.

its as simple as shorting two pins on each side for each door. then automate that.. I also have the battery connected to a power supply so I dont need to charge it. :slight_smile:

Chamberlain KLIK5U-BK2 Clicker 2-Button Garage Door Opener Remote with Visor Clip, Black - - Amazon.com

1 Like

I'm working on getting the parts I'm using Smart Implant.

I will share once I'm done and I have all fo the parts.

1 Like

I received my Garadget Security+ 2.0 Wired Dry Contact Adapter about an hour ago and it is installed and working as expected. It helped that I had a low-voltage wire pair at the opener itself run to my HA closet from pre-MyQ opener/pre-Hubitat days. The experience buying from Garadget was excellent - I went from placing the order on Friday to having it in hand Monday. I went with the Garadget install ready wall button because all the sources I had found for that wall button were around the same price without the soldered wires. I've since found a source for $13.23 shipped (Buy Liftmaster 883LMW Door Control Button Wholesale | Preferred Doors LLC | Houston TX) but am happy with the solution I chose. It's too hot to solder today.

Of course, now I'm experiencing mission creep. The 883LMW Liftmaster button does have a light control button on the side. It would have been nice to have a wire pair soldered to that too so I could automate the garage door opener light. That would be particularly attractive had I used something like the MHCOZY 2 channel ZigBee relay (or any of the dry contact options discussed that have two channels). Then again, automating the garage light would have limited utility - you couldn't have a rule to make sure it is off without some way to tell its current state.

5 Likes

I am using the Meross wifi garage door opener. Meross: Simple Device, Simplify Your Life. I have the non-homekit version as I use Homebridge V2 to expose them. I also have myQ enable openers, so I had to get the accessory provided via an email to support which is a universal remote with an extra signal cable soldered on to it. Easy to install. The driver for it just changed recently due to a firmware update from meross, but it is all working with local control (there is a PR outstanding). See this thread. Meross Garage Opener - #30 by Demon

The accessory that Meross will send is called RGR910 see photo.

I had the same experience with Garadget. Item shipped within minutes of the order and arrived today. I did the 3 button remote with the MHCOZY 2 channel ZigBee relay and it all works perfectly. Just waiting on Amazon to show up with my project box and I'll upload a pic.

1 Like

Crap - just realized the project box size I posted was for the single relay. The double-relay is longer. So I hope you didn’t use my Amazon link, and apologize for the mixup if you did.

I'm happy to know that I'm not the only one that runs into these problems. I always think I should have done something different or better to prevent that. It never seems to work out. :thinking: :rofl:

You are brilliant. I am so glad I read your post before soldering in my zen16 (that o bought over a year ago with the intent of putting it in my gas fireplace). I was thinking what a waste of the other two relays!!

1 Like

I did buy a different one that is a little deeper than I wanted but that's all I could find to the height and width I needed.

Thanks again for your useful links to this hardware. Not only have I eliminated future API problems I'm finding new ways to do things with rules that I could not do before.

1 Like

Finished install, 2 port ZigBee relay and the 3 button wireless Garadget dry contact. Works like a champ.

7 Likes

And looks great!

2 Likes

For those of you with a local Container Store, I buy food containers for my “project” boxes. I just take whatever I need to protect into the store and then figure out the smallest box that will fit my components. I just used one of these for my MyQ button and Zigbee relay:
https://www.containerstore.com/s/kitchen/food-storage/lustroware-small-food-keepers/12d?p=0&ps=120&productId=10014892

Requires a little drilling for wires or to hold things in place but the soft plastic is easy to drill through.

1 Like

Works great for left overs also.

3 Likes

I know I'm probably being dense, so apologies in advance. I too had my MyQ stop and decided to go local. I bought the Zigbee relay mentioned above, and have everything working after soldering onto a sacrificial spare door remote. But what's missing is the "garage door" app that pulls it together. Can I use the Zooz one, without the Zooz relay? Or is there another one that I should be using? Thanks.

If you use HPM, search for “garage” and you will find an app by Larry Kahn or here:

3 Likes

Thanks for the quick reply. Installing from HPM now.

1 Like

OK. So I'm totally confused. I've tried everything I can think of, but it's not working. The zigbee relay itself reliably "pushes" the button of the door remote. But the Garage Door App does not work. Here's what I have:

Device: Virtual Garage Door which is of type "Simulated Garage Door Opener V2"
App: Local Garage Door which is an instance of "LGK Virtual Garage Door"
I've added a "Virtual Garage Door" to a dashboard and it visually goes through the motions, but does not actually control the door. Looks like this:

The App is configured like this:

What am I doing wrong? I have searched for a cogent configuration guide to set this up, but haven't been able to find it.
Thanks,
Jay

OK. Gave up on the LGK package and switched to the Zooz app/child app/driver. Works great. The instructions were clear. Now everything is good and I'm off of MyQ forever. At least as far as Hubitat is concerned.

2 Likes