Local/cloud endpoint use? Just curious

I'm just playing around and looking at new approaches to things. I was curious about any examples of local or cloud endpoints.

One example I can give you is if you want an Android app like Tasker to directly control devices back on your hub, you can use HTTP GET requests using those URLs.

Another example on the PC side is a great, free automation app called EventGhost.

2 Likes

NFC tags work on the local and cloud endpoints.

2 Likes

Oh! I'd like to learn about that!

1 Like

This thread is a bit of a mess but all the info is there. I can't help much more than pointing you there. I really wish someone would do a full thorough NFC tag write up even though my phone cases block my NFC chip.

1 Like

I use cloud end point triggers for my iOS shortcuts.

1 Like

So if I understand correctly, I could have a tag set up, tap my phone on it and something would happen in the house?

1 Like

Yup. I used to have one in the car for my garage door.

1 Like

I immediately thought about kids phones at night. Both have NFC and we have a policy of turning them in at night so they aren't on them all night. Designated spots for them with NFC tags that set a boolean to true would be great.

I assume it would just need NFC enabled and data a local network connection? Don't really want to have extra apps on their phones.

Sorry for the dumb questions! I'm pretty shaky on the finer points

Hmm not sure, I used a free app to create them, but don't think you need it to use.

1 Like

There are lots of users, (myself included) that turn security cameras into motion sensors through the use of local endpoints. Fairly straightforward thing to do with Blue Iris and Hubitat.

Depending on the time of day and the status of HSM (Home, away, nightime) this endpoint (that triggers based on motion in the cameras field of view) could do one or more of the following:

• turn on light(s)
  • automatically have android wall tablet switch to camera view
  • send notifications
  • have stereo system play a file the realistically mimics the barking of a large dog
1 Like

Looks like I'll have to order some and play around with them.

Very cool. This is the kind of stuff I had no idea about.

Buy stickers NOT plastic tags. So much more convenient.

I never figured out how to do this and could never find a walkthrough for it. It's been one of my biggest frustrations with smart home stuff.

1 Like

I do exactly this. I have an NFC sticker by my front door, and I tap it with my phone whenever I leave/return. I use Tasker app on my phone to recognise the NFC tag, then by way of a local endpoint I activate/deactivate HSM on HE.

Similarly, I have a tracker box inside my car that sends a message to my phone when I leave/enter a geofence area around my home, and another one around my parents' home. Again, I intercept this via Tasker and this time via cloud endpoints, I feed into location/presence routines within HE.

I find both local and cloud endpoints reliable and responsive

1 Like

I dont think you can do this, although I'm sure others can chime in. NFC tags/stickers can contain only a small amount of data and i dont think you can encode actions within them. So the reading device needs to know what to do

Personally i use Tasker on my android phone. This intercepts the NFC data, and depending on the unique code i have embedded with it, it performs certain actions (see my earlier post for how i use this)

The benefit of this is that the actions triggered by the NFC tag reside securely on my phone, rather than on the NFC tag. Any other phone reading the NFC tag simply receives a jumble of letters and numbers, but has no idea what to do with that.

If the endpoint were somehow encoded on the NFC tag itself, then any phone reading the tag would trigger your actions. As I use mine to enable/disable HSM (amongst other things) it's important that this does not happen

2 Likes

Another broad use of cloud end points is connecting with external functions that don't normally connect with HE. You could for example use a service like IFTTT to send an alert to HE via a cloud end point when a particular blog gets updated. This can even carry variables that RM could then act on.

Good point about keeping endpoint URL's out of strangers' hands. Let's not forget that those URLs contain your super-secret Maker API Token, which means anyone could modify the URL to do all kinds of scary, unwanted stuff (read Maker's entire Devices list, change settings maliciously, activate modes or unlock locks, shutdown your hub, etc.).

NFC tags/readers is certainly one scenario where obfuscation is your friend.

2 Likes

Do you currently use Blue Iris for your securty cameras? If so, I could provide the steps to take to make this work. Just a littly busy at the moment and may not get to it till the weekend of the 17th to 19th.