Local Automation / Alexa Compatibility

Hi, I'm a new HE user and also to the whole home automation thing. So, I would want to apologize in advice for the lengthy post, but I need some advice PLEASE! :slight_smile:

I've already had a complete Alexa platform with integrated WIFI devices. After I got my HE, and done a whole bunch of research to integrate with HE, I could install the following devices with HE:

• Phillips Hue Light
  • WIZ color lights
  • WeMo Smart Light Switch & Dimmer
  • August 4th Gen - Via WIFI
  • KASA Smart WIFI Plug (HS105)

However, I could not install these ones:

• Emerson Sensi Thermostat
  • ECOVACS T9 AIVI Vacuum
  • Broadlink RM4 Pro
  • Broadlink Smart Light Switch TC3
  • Tuya Zigbee smart light switch
  • Cielo Breez Pluz
  • EUFY Video Doorbell

So, I had the following questions :

1- Any idea where can I find drivers for the stuff I could integrate, also, for the August 4th Gen, any chance I can run this locally as well? If not, can you guys point me out for a thermostat, IR AC Controller, smart lock, Video Doorbell, motion sensors that integrates locally with HE and compatible with ALEXA? That would be great!

2- Could HE controls the devices directly without the devices hub or it still connects through each device hub? Most of the ZigBee and Z-wave devices comes with their own hub, could HE function as an alternative?

3- Is the local automation related to using a ZigBee/z-wave devices versus WIFI, or it doesn't matter the protocol used? So some ZigBee's, for example would still connect through the cloud, while other WIFI devices would connect locally? If that's the case, then what the criteria some devices to run locally or through the cloud?

4- I already have everything installed and working in Alexa before I get HE, so what does Alexa built app integration actually do? Can I set a routine so that when "X" happens, Alexa does or say "Y"?

5- Is there an easier way to adjust and control HE dashboards that the painful default process

6- Do I need LAN to access these dashboards locally? or is there other ways for it?

7- Whats the benefit of creating Rooms in HE?

The following Questions are not related to HE, but more of a general inquiries on automation if you if anyone could help me understand:

7- Is there ANY way to run the echo devices locally? I've read about the local voice control for older models, but, when integrated with HE, could it connect all HE devices locally? and does Echo 4th gen have this local voice control?

8- Is there an Apple Home Kit integration with HE, if not, you guys know if there is anyway to connect Apple home kit to unsupported devices?

9- Why you guys picked HE over Home assistant, I've read some great feedback on it, so wanted to know generally why HE is better or what options does HE has, that HA does not provide?

Any input or feedback on this would Help me massively figuring this whole thing out, So I can act smarter in getting the smart home I wish to have :slight_smile: ... THANKS!

My solution to problem devices have been:
Create a virtual switch to trigger Alexa to control the device.
Or more advanced

This you to run routines and send voice commands along with everything else it does.

This allows local control of the Broadlink devices

And do control my tuya devices locally I go through home assistant.

There may be more direct methods out there but this is what I currently do.

Have you seen all of the discussions on the Home Assistant Community? The new official integration that Tuya created for Home Assistant and was recently officially adopted into HA is not as good as the integration in HACS that will stop working in next 6 months when Tuya makes breaking changes to their unofficial API. The new integration is not local and there are a lot of angry HA users because of that and the official integration has less functionality than the version on HACS.

The OP has a Zigbee Tuya device though. Would that work with generic Zigbee switch driver?

EDIT: There is a Tuya Zigbee Scene Switch in native device drivers. I would think that would work.

2 Likes

There is a community integration. Search the community threads.

Also, I recommend installing Hubitat Package Manager. It makes installing most of the community integrations MUCH easier.

2 Likes

This makes me sad :frowning: . I knew things were changing and I'd have to change things. I was hoping that "when" tuya "improved" their API and added local support we may get it on Hubitat.

You could also look into setting up Node-Red. It can act as an alternate rule engine and can tie Hubitat, Alexa, and bunch more stuff together. This way you can create automations for Alexa enabled wifi devices that may not natively work with Hubitat (without extra work). Plus, if you ever decide to move platforms, Home Assistant can also use Node-Red so you should have a pretty easy time porting things over.