Linking unsuccessful to Alexa

Select the Hub you would like to allow access always shows "My New Hub" Doesn't display my hubs name. Verified registered, many restarts, followed tutorials. no joy... oauth not seeing my hub? registration issue?

FYi, Should have started with: From within Alexa app, new skills:

So your problem is solved, or you're still having problems linking Alexa?

1 Like

Were you trying to add Hubitat from Alexa app, or were you using the manual method (see documentation) to add the Echo Skill to Hubitat first, and then link the two?

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Amazon_Echo_Skill

I tried both ways. I don't see my hub listed and have "My New Hub" as the only hub to select. From what I can see in documents I should have my hub's name showing up. Selecting My New Hub doesn't work.

still having problems. I think describe it better in reply to neonturbo

1 Like

It sounds like your hub lost the cloud connection after initial setup, and the server never got the new location name (hub name). If you'd like, you can send me a PM along with your hub's MAC address and I can confirm if it is connected or not.

1 Like

PM sent

1 Like

I reset my hub to DHCP instead of a fixed IP and was able to see my hubs name in Alexa app after a restart. So it looks like it didn’t like the fixed address and gateway I gave, which is something I have done with many other devices without issue. However, Alexa was not able to find devices during its search after selecting my hubs name. So I am past the registration issue and have a new issue it seems.

Glad you figured out the cloud connection issue. Mind sharing what kind of devices have you tried to authorize to use with Alexa?

1 Like

I have got Alexa to behave with several devices now. I had to delete and rediscover some. I have a GE wall switch and some Sengled lights so far. Full disclosure: I am a new convert from Wink plowing through the conversion. I have many more lights and some door locks to connect still.

1 Like

Just remember that Wink works differently than Hubitat. With Wink, things just happened and you had no control over whether something happened or how.

Hubitat in many cases needs you to authorize devices that you want to use with a particular app, like Alexa or Dashboards. It does not automatically add every device to Alexa or a Dashboard once you have paired a device with the hub.

This is nice as you can trim down your list of things that show up in Alexa. Maybe you don't want to accidentally turn off an outlet on the garage door opener. Just don't expose it to Alexa! Maybe you have virtual switches in Hubitat (trust me you will understand at some point) that you use for a variety of things, and you don't want Alexa to see these "fake" switches. You could have a device that you added to the hub for testing, you don't need to let Alexa know it is there until you are sure you want to keep it.

So when you add a new device to the hub, and you want to have Alexa see it, go to the App tab in Hubitat, select the Echo Skill, and there is list where you pick devices. Then Done out of that, and Alexa should see them automatically, often within seconds of hitting Done. Very occasionally you have to ask Alexa (or use the Alexa app) to "discover new devices".

3 Likes

Most of us are converts from other platforms and know what you are going through. Don't hesitate to ask questions as you learn your way around.

4 Likes

I very much appreciate the the comments and feedback! I think I am good with the basics for now in my quest to move from Wink to Hubitat. To wrap this up for now I think it was the my setting of a static IP address that caused the registration issue with Hubitat. Going back to DHCP in Hubitat was the key to being able to have my Hubitat show up in the Alexa skill for Hubitat. Once that worked, it's a matter of figuring out how to reset the devices and bring them into Hubitat. Neonturbo, thanks for that explanation on excluding/including devices in Alexa. Deleting all the devices from within the Alexa app that are linked to Wink is a pain but necessary. One thing I did search for and wasn't very easy to find (at least for me) was "Hubitat Portal" to be able to locate my hub after I switched it back to DHCP. Adding this link to the FAQ under Network might be a good idea to make it easier for newbies like me that have a bit of networking experience to be dangerous. I knew that my hub would get a new IP after a reboot after setting it back to DHCP, but darn it was a bit of a pain to find that URL to get back to the hub web interface. Thanks again for the help. This looks like it's going to be fun group to interact with!

4 Likes

Usually most recommend you do a reservation in your router's DHCP table. I've seen several times setting static has issues with the default 8.8.8.8 DNS... I am unsure why.

4 Likes

My link to Alexa broke yesterday after I updated to the latest Hubitat OS and enabled Homekit Integration. I removed the skill from Alexa yesterday as a way to repair and added the skill back but the authentication fails with the message, "Unable to link account with Alexa". The devices are still in Alexa but orphaned now.

In the thread above, it mentioned if the user had cloud connectivity to the hub. I was unable to load my dashboards when I left the house but have no problems locally. My router has an IP reservation for the hubitat hub.

Any ideas on how to get this going again or is it Homekit integration OR Alexa integration but not both?

Thanks.

Press the reset button on the bottom of the hub with a paperclip or toothpick for 7 seconds (the only round hole out of all the square ones) and see if that cures you (This only resets the network settings not the hub). This sounds like you're hubn isn't connected to the internet,.

3 Likes

Thanks @rlithgow1 for the reset button suggestion! That got the hub reconnected with the web and solved the Alexa Hubitat Skill Integration problem.

2 Likes

Sounds like you created a static ip on the hub and didn't fill in the DNS. Best way to handle it is to make a reservation in the hub only for all your iot devices. Glad you got it working.

1 Like