Linear Garage Door

Unless your garage door is really slow you could probably cut that time in half. If it is slow, try the release handle to disconnect it from the motor. Open and close the garage door. It should open and close with equal force. If it's not you may need to adjust or replace the springs.

Thanks. I was being over cautious on the time. I could probably cut it in half, but was too lazy to go downstairs to the garage to time the opening.

If you can't display the same level of OCD-driven behavior about this stuff that we do, we may have to ask you to turn in your hub. Please bear that in mind in the future.

:wink:

3 Likes

I am trying to follow these instructions. I have a Linear GD00Z-2 that I had working with my Smartthings hub. But I have now turned off my Smartthings hub and have changed everything to Hubitat.

I did verify the battery in my tilt sensor is good.

I am successful following your instructions up to step 4.

When I try to pair, I am holding the Linear pairing button for 7 seconds until it beeps, then doing a "Start Z-Wave Inclusion" but nothing is ever found.

Any suggestions? thx as always for the help.

How far is your Hub from the Garage Door Controller? I had to take my hub pretty close to the garage door controller before it would pair. I used a long ethernet extension cord and a phone battery pack to move the hub around to get everything to pair.

EDIT: I am assuming you were able to "exclude" the device successfully? If not, you may want to try Steps 2 and 3 in the "exclusion" section here:

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Join_and_Reset_Instructions#GoControl

1 Like

Like @rakeshg mentioned, the garage door controller has to be pretty close to the Hubitat in order to pair. I had to run a 50 foot cat6 cable across the floor into my garage with the Hubitat on one end and the other connected to my router. My Linear controller wouldn't pair until it was within arms reach of the Hubitat.

2 Likes

I just put the hubitat within 1 ft of the Linear Controller.

I tried the pair process, the exclude process - no joy.

To pair, I am holding the button on the Linear controller for 7 seconds or so until it beeps.

These are Barrier devices and depending on vintage, might need a FLiRs repeater nearby. FLiRs is intended to help with battery devices but who knows what some individual coding engineer at Nortek decided to do. :smiley:

I have one of these and I tried a lot of things to get it to pair, I gave up for a few days and when I came back, it worked first try, Hub a great distance away. I've always assumed that the other devices I added between giving up and the 2nd try convinced the hub and the GDO to use FLiRs.

The next time I needed to exclude-then-include was when I added a C-7 to that area of my home. I left it to "last" for that day's worth of device migration, but it worked first try.

I know it's not helpful, but think of this message as "cheerleading" to assist with motivation :smiley:

1 Like

rookie here ... I still need to learn how monitor my Hubitat network and understand its strengh.

I have several Z-wave Aeotec motion sensors which are plugged in on the way to the garage.

GDO is ?

i assume FLiRs is a repeater ? But I assume I need a Zwave repeater? I have a Zigbee plug nearby.

GDO = Garage Door Opener
FLiRs = " Frequently Listening Routing Slaves (FLiRS) are a class of Z-Wave devices that are battery powered but wake up every second to check if there is a message waiting for them. FLiRS were initially used for door locks." Its a perfectly ordinary router, like an AC powered Switch/dimmer or outlet, that has the extra feature of participating in the wakeup. Assume the hub is busy and when the GDO (Linear) wakes up, it goes back to sleep before the hub can react. The Hub instead, sends a message to the FLiRs router to store a "Yes, the hub wants you" message. The next time the GDO wakes, it gets the message and stays awake long enough to complete the conversation with the hub.

1 Like

ok... quite embarrassing but figured I would post in case someone else "assumes" too much...

after more research on my Z-wave network, that is very good with enough devices and mostly blue and each of my devices seem to take a logical path to my Hubitat. I plug all my devices in and generally dont use batteries.

Denise's instructions were perfect. The problem was when I executed Step 4, I held the button for 7 seconds thinking that put the Linear Controller in pairing mode. Not. Just press the button one time to put the Linear Controller in pairing mode.

It did take a while to join and the Start Z-Wave Inclusion status was on "Initializing" for almost 2 minutes.

I did not have to locate my hub near the Linear Controller to pair.

thx for the help.

3 Likes