Limit iris v2 detection area ideas

I recently purchased 10 iris v2 sensors and a hubitat. Loving every minute of it and still learning.

I have alot of cats in the house and they keep tripping my Sensor to the office. I have it mounted as high up as I can on the door frame. Is there anyway to limit the detection area? Some way to cover the middle piece so it only triggered right in front of it? I'm sure someone here has devised something
Thanks!

What are you using the sensor for? Could you explain your use case?

Some folks have created small tubes that limit the field of view of the sensor, or cover part of the sensor to blind it in some area.

3 Likes

Iris + Pex tubing mentioned here

3 Likes

Or if you are a frugal bastard like me, one of those wide diameter straws from McDonald's can fit over the sensor and trimmed to length.

3 Likes

I have a roll of White 'electrical tape' from Home Depot.

I disassemble the Sensor, then I use a piece of tape about an inch long and wrap it around the dome. It extends out beyond the dome by about half an inch.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Scotch-0-75-in-x-66-ft-x-7-mil-35-Electrical-Tape-White-10828-DL-2W/304653652

2 Likes

Just using the sensor to turn lights on in the office when someone walks in. I just need to limit its field of view. Ideas here are stellar. Thanks everyone!

I took the case of the sensor apart and put a small piece of heat shrink tube on the sensor and carefully shrunk around the edge of the sensor just a little to make it snug. Then put the case back together.
This created a very narrow sensor area.

2 Likes

Also, standard sport tape you buy in any pharmacy works fine to blind out a bit of the «view glass» on the motion sensor too.
Just another tip. :slight_smile:
RogerThat

1 Like

@mike.maxwell posted pictures of his solution on the ST forum years ago to limit field of motion for Iris motions on his staircase:

1 Like

Thanks for that. I'm looking at the Pex modification but was thinking that 3/4" would be too large. From Mike's old post;
"2015-10-15. So I replaced the tube shown above with a 3/8" OD by 1" tube, now I get 100% success on triggering. The detection zone is quite a bit larger, maybe 8-12 inches now."

1 Like

Have you considered the zone motion controller app? you would need a couple of sensors in each room. I believe the way it works is that both sensors have to see the motion before it triggers an event. Perhaps with something small like an animal - it might be harder to trigger 2 sensors ( carefully positioned) than just 1.
uncertain but worth a try.
mac

1 Like

Assuming you're talking about the 3326-L motion sensors. You can print either of these out to use on them: 3D design 3326-L Motion Sensor Shield | Tinkercad and 3D design 3326-L Motion Sensor Shield v2 | Tinkercad. The 2nd one has a much smaller hole in the end.

1 Like