Lighting Scene Activator virtual switch issue ? (doesn´t stay on)

Just tapping on this for status check again, since it's been 3 weeks now. @mike.maxwell, @patrick, @bravenel? Just looking to know one way or the other. Thanks. Mike said it should be fixable a month ago.

Another week later and still no update. @patrick, @bravenel, @mike.maxwell? anyone out there???

I have the same issue going on. 4 hue rgbw bulbs. All in a 'room' within hue's hub. Scene is created in he based on the hue 'room' / hueBridgeGroup to set to a color and level. When I go into devices and select the Scene Activator and tell it to turn the scene on, it turns it on, however, the value for the current status of the switch flips on then off in under a second. The end result is that the scene is activated but the status of the switch is still off.

Now, to be clear, this ONLY happens if the lights were already on and at some other level and/or color. If the lights were off when triggering the scene, the scene triggers and the value stays on and doesn't flip.

This is expected behavior, as the hue lights don't report normally -- only after being polled, By then its too late, and the Scene does not think it is activated completely.

Hmm... That really makes it pointless from an automation perspective since I can't conditionalize anything based on the state of scene.

It doesn't seem like it would be too hard to trigger a scene and wait to post the status of the switch/scene until after re-polling?

Admittedly I'm a noob to home automation but have experience in development/scripting. I'm just getting into this stuff, can you point me to a good resource or two about the sdk/api for this stuff? What language is this stuff... I've seen some references to something called groovy?

It's all written in Groovy.

The app doesn't know anything about these devices, and whether they are polled or not. All it knows are the events reported to it.

Some discrepancies arise because devices don't actually get set to the values set into the Scene. This a device oddity: set it to 75, and it reports 76. Obviously, the app will assume that it is not set correctly. The fact that it will always be set to 76 in response to being commanded to 75 is of little value. But, the Scene could be recaptured after that happens. Ah, but one can chase the tail of this one. What if commanding 76 does not result in 76? etc.

This is not as simple as you assume it is. I'm going to look again at how the activator switch state is managed for possible improvements.

1 Like

Thanks for quick reply. I appreciate your knowledge and willingness to help.

There is a bug in how the activator on/off is handled. This will be fixed in the next release.

1 Like

@bravenel is this related to what I'm seeing below?

Yes. That aspect of Scene-1.2 was reworked in this release. It should work as expected now.

Thanks. I will apply the update when I get back in.