Lighting rule based on arrival

This is what im trying to do:

turn on my outside lights when me or my wife arrive between sunrise and sunset but turn off 5 minutes after? I dont see arrival as an option in rule machine? Just presence.

Use presence, when a presence sensor changes to present that means it arrived. Same thing.

In this case, I'd either use a Triggered Rule with arrival as the trigger and sunset-sunrise as the condition/rule, or use a Trigger with sunset-sunrise as a restriction. Both would accomplish the same thing.

Here's an example of a triggered rule. Trigger with restrictions would be the same, except the time component would be listed under the restriction section instead of a condition.

1 Like

Thanks again, I feel like im back in school. :grin:

1 Like

If you use the Restriction, it will have the undesired side effect of leaving the lights on if they come on just before the end of the period. So using a condition would work better.

2 Likes

Does the restriction cancel the scheduled off event? I guess I was unclear about how restrictions affected those.

1 Like

All Restrictions prevent a rule from doing anything upon any event. So it doesn't actually cancel the scheduled off event -- it prevents it from taking the action.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.