Lighting 3way Switch No Neutral

I have the following wiring situation for many of the 3-way switches in my home. The issue is there is no neutral wire at either of the switches.

switch

I would like to install smart 3-way switches; under the following conditions:

1. I would prefer zigbee or zwave.
  2. I have no neutral wire at either switch.
  3. I would like to have the circuit function normally if there is no smart service. Meaning, I would like the traveler wire to still function as a "dumb" switch if pressed without a smart connection. Does that make sense? I feel like I'm not explaining that part correctly. Basically, if I sell the house; I still need the switches to function properly.

Any recommendations? I have looked all over.
The majority I see require a neutral wire.
The ones that do not require a neutral wire, seem to rely only on "logic" for the pairing. I need it to work "dumb" also.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Not zigbee or zwave but Lutron Caseta paired with Picos. You will find many, many fans here.

Advantages:

Now available in traditional decora style as well as Lutron's own design.
Rock solid reliability.
Available in several colors (white, almond, ivory, black, etc)
Many models require no neutral - but check because some do.
Picos rock as button controllers, can be used as the "other" switch in a 3- or 4- or x- way setup, and can be paired either to a "master" switch or to HE. No additional wiring.
HE integration is flawless.
they work with or without integration.

Disadvantages:

They ain't cheap.
The HE integration requires the PRO series hub.
Limited or no availability outside the US.
If connected to really low wattage LED bulbs you may get some flicker or glow when off. Can be rectified with the included capacitor. I have 35 switches - one exhibits this behavior.

2 Likes

You could use a relay, here is a example from Zooz. It shows the relay in the switch box, I just put the relay in the light box.

3-Way Wiring Diagrams for the ZEN51 Dry Contact Relay - Zooz Support Center.

1 Like

Can you please point me to the hardware I would need to run a single instance of the three-way scenario mentioned in my OP?

How do I know if I have the pro version? I have the C-7?

I saw this, also. So you put the module in the box where the light is attached? Then what do you use for switches? Just normal dumb 3-way switches? If this is correct, I think I like this approach as it gives a single device that can recognize on/off regardless of which switch is pressed? And I can automate the module from HE?

I still want to look at the picos option; but the second one seems like the cheaper alternative.

I put the relay in the box with the light. Used the original dumb switches. Use “motion lighting app” to turn light on/off. Both switches can turn light on/off.

1 Like

@JBrown I'm having a little trouble trying to visualize how this would look wired at the light fixture. I tried searching for a diagram, but could only find examples showing the module wired at the switch. Do you by chance know of a diagram representing your installation?

Edit: Do you bridge "L" and "IN" on the module?

My line in (hot from fuse box) was in the left box on your diagram. I bought GE cync, Kasa, and even a sonoff relay because I didn't want to be tethered to a hub. Last week I surrendered and and bought the Lutron Kit with a switch, Pico, and a shinny hub. That by far was the easiest fastest smart home wiring install I've done. I'm not a fan of the buttons on the switch too hard to hit the right button walking by without looking. In the week the switches have been in, I'm sold on the Lutron system.

Do you bridge "L" and "IN" on the module? Yes

My drawing ability sucks.

1 Like

Lol, I think it's perfect! Thank you, thank you. I didn't want to ask you to draw it out for me, but I didn't see any other diagrams online. This explains everything, and I just ordered two to get started :slight_smile: Much appreciated!

I purchased the ZEN51 3-Way version and wired according to that diagram. If I set the switch mode to 3-Way impulse as Zooz states in the diagram, then I have to toggle the manual switch, either one, on and back off, or off and back on, (depending on the current state of the relay) to get it to switch. Is that the way it is supposed to work? Seems counter productive to have to do that.

Sorry, I had a busy week. I just got my first relay installed and I see what you mean. After installing the relay, the light switches worked great. Both switches would turn the light on and off independently.

However, when I went to Hub Admin and clicked the tile to turn the light off, and then to the wall switch (didn't matter which one), I had to toggle it twice. Once did nothing. The second toggle turned the light back on.

I tried this from both switches, and same result. Once the Hub sends a signal, the switches "lose" their state. I tried both with the "Toggle" and the "3 Way" switch type settings on the device admin page; but it still did not work properly.

Now, the kicker. If I turn the lights off from the Hub, then back on from the Hub, the wall switches will continue to work correctly. Only have to flip them once for the lights to respond correctly.

I could be missing something. I will continue to experiment.

I finally found out I had to set mine at Toggle. Then it all worked fine. Still don't understand what the 3-way would be for then.

Hmmm... that is what mine is set on that presents the issue above. When I set mine to 3-way, it was weird. I'm going to experiment with it tonight when I get back home.

Can you take a screenshot of your settings page for me, for comparison, please?

Also, for testing:

1. Turn the light on from a switch.
  2. Turn the light off from the hub.
  3. Go to the switch; and flip it to it's opposite state (a single flip, not a toggle).

Does the light respond? Or do you have to flip the switch again?

Will get some some pics when I get back home but your settings look correct. You have to have the latest version of the relay. I had an older version and it wouldn’t work.

I can turn the light on or off from either 3 way switch just as if the relay wasn’t there. And if I turn the light on or off from HE then I still only need one switch movement to do the opposite. I don’t have to do a toggle on and off again. Everything works just as intended.

Make sure you are using the Zooz zen51 relay advanced driver. You can download that from Thesmartesthouse website.

1 Like

That did it. I never would have known to switch to that. Thank you very much!

1 Like

Hi, just found this thread and was wondering if this would work with a 4 way no neutral setup as well. Would it basically be the same setup, just combine the wires from the 3 switches instead of 2?

Also, if there are 2 lights connected to these switches, does it matter which box I put them in?