Lightbulb recommendation

24 Crees... mostly in desk lamps

Sengled Zigbee bulbs work best for most users. I replaced all my Cree and GE Link bulbs with Sengled and everything just works now.

1 Like

If you're open to Z-Wave, Inovelli!

Otherwise, Sengled.

Make sure you've got a repeater or two in your network, as Sengleds don't repeat, and you'll hit the 32-direct-devices Zigbee limit quickly.

2 Likes

I'm curious - have you evaluated this using an Xbee3? Or is it based on having a large number of Cree light bulbs?

1 Like

April's worst nightmare :shushing_face:

2 Likes

@brad5

This older thread is worth reading:

1 Like

I've had good luck with my 5 Cree bulbs and gledopto controller since I moved them to a Hue bridge and used the HE Hue integration. I was able to buy a gen 1 hue bridge on eBay for $9 shipped and the Cree bulbs have been solid.

3 Likes

A very good point. I would go with a gen 2 Hue bridge though since they have EOLd the gen 1. Certainly much more cost effective than replacing 24 bulbs.

1 Like

Either bridge would work. Since I didn't plan on connecting the hue bridge to the web I opted for really cheap and put the money towards my new dome water shut-off valve. :grinning: The bride gets cranky when I overspend my allowance. :scream:

1 Like

Yes I have a bunch of SmartThings plugs scattered throughout the house.

2 Likes

It's based on habitat.local/hub/zigbee/getChildAndRouteInfo, which I know is not conclusive. However, all of my zigbee devices seem to work just fine with the exception of this one sconce. I'm going to replace the bulb with a zwave bulb and see what happens.

1 Like

Thanks yes that was a good read. If I were having more widespread issues I might try the channel change or the mesh rebuild ideas... and maybe I will at some point. I might opt for the Phillips Hue solution. I wanted to avoid a third hub (Lutron & HE) but hey what the heck... the more the merrier.

1 Like

Ordered. Along with a few Hue bulbs. Will be here tomorrow.

4 Likes

It is an inexpensive, yet effective, solution. Control remains local, which is excellent. And putting the Crees on a mesh by themselves will keep them stable and ensure that any zigbee sensors on your Hubitat will route through your Samsung SmartThings outlets - which are really good zigbee repeaters.

1 Like

Except for the Hue bulbs :wink: Although I keep adding more of them myself as I slowly replace Sylvania A19s that die from overheating.

1 Like

I also have 3 more smartThings outlets on the way. I have a couple now but one or two more won't hurt.

3 Likes

But you ordered 3. That is gonna hurt :rofl:

In all seriousness, I have 5 and most everything seems to route through them. They are rock solid.
Edit: If you have a Costco membership, you can order the Hue bulbs online for much cheaper than Amazon last I looked.

I didn't know this was a thing until the other day when I went to unscrew one that had been on all night. Let's just say, I'll be using the fingers on my other hand to unlock my phone, for a while.

1 Like

Yesterday, after my 5-node Linksys Velop meshed network was the victim of a "surprise" firmware update and I announced I was ripping it all out, my significant other asked (for the first time) how much all this home automation stuff cost. I said "oh it's not about the cost. It's about keeping you happy. Now be a dear and hand me those 4 Amazon boxes."

2 Likes

My house is like a Faraday cage. Right now I have an ST plug on the 1st floor and another on the 2nd floor. I am going to add another to each, and one down in the basement, which will be a total of 5. The house is about 3500 sq ft but there are no zigbee devices on the third floor.

1 Like