Light Switches

what are light switches people use? I ask cause the wife wants switches that still "act like normal switches" but I want to integrate them into the hub. they also need to "feel like normal switches".

this was way easier to do when I was single :slight_smile:

Well no radio switch works exactly like a traditional switch.
Normal switches have a physical indication of their actual state.
All ha switches are momentary push buttons, top being on, bottom being off, be the switch a toggle or decora style.
Other than that, they work the same physically.

I've been using Aoetec Nano Switches in our new house (we recently moved). You attach the switch module to the existing physical switch and to the power line running to a light, then stuff the module into the switch box. In the end you're still using your existing physical switch, and it behaves essentially as it did before (i.e., flipping the switch turns the light on and off), but you can also monitor and control the light state using Hubitat. As long as your switch boxes have room, and you're not driving very large loads, they're pretty snazzy.

I replaced all the switches and receptacles in and around my Kitchen with products from the Legrand Adorne line. Behind them I put the Aeon Nano's as @jason0x43 describes. WAF was horrified day 1, because it wasn't broke, why fix it. Now she tells everyone about the wonderful beautiful switches her wonderful husband did for her. :slight_smile:

They are EXPENSIVE though. All of their switches are 3 way, and they are about $18 each.. vs what? 0.89 cents for what I pulled out.

https://www.legrand.us/-/media/brands/adorne/images/images/landing-pages/photo-gallery/gallery/showhomes/ca-hf15/wallplate.ashx?w=597&h=399&bc=FFFFFF

1 Like

I love this product line btw...
But 18 bucks on the switch?, I did my last home with these, and they were less than 6 for the switch, I did have a few wall plates that were up there, one I remember being close to 60...
I hacked up the toggles, made them all momentary and also used aeon behind them.

Yes, each type is more and more expensive. The paddles are right around $6 ($5.18 at Lowes) while the Push is that $18 ($17.18, Lowes) but it gets worse :slight_smile: The SofTap is $40 and the Wave (touchless) is a mere $52

Several of my receptacles were outfitted with USB plugs, and the combo square receptacle plus USB module is an exact fit with a standard Decora wall plate.

1 Like

I will strongly say lutron caseta. Its been awesome install. They work flawlessly and fast. Easy install

1 Like

If you are willing to work with custom Smart App and Device Driver (published on Github), the TP-Link switches are nice. They are push-button on/off with a small light on when the switch is off. Three variants
HS-200 - Single Pole switch
HS-210 - Double Pole switch
HS-220 - Single Pole with Dimmer (for lights, not fans).

They are WiFi, so they use the cloud. But solid product from TP-Link. Con: Pricey ($33 US on Amazon for HS-200)

if say my hub goes down for whatever reason will all these still work normally?

as in will it still turn the light on and off without the hub>?

Most people use z-wave plus in wall switches and dimmers from companies like GE/Jasco, Inovelli, Leviton, etc... these all still work if the Hub is down for any reason. Do your research on these to make sure you avoid some of the more troublesome models (like the old GE ones).

Lutron Caseta is another very popular product line, which has its own hub (need the SmartBridge Pro). The most popular Lutron Caseta products are their switches, dimmers, and Pico remotes. Again, the switches and dimmers work independently of the hub. Hubitat communicates to the Caseta SmartBridge Pro hub via a LAN connection (not cloud). This is an amazingly good integration.

Personally, I would avoid WiFi switches, due to their cloud dependency. Stick with Z-Wave Plus, Zigbee, or Lutron Caseta and you really won’t go wrong.

thanks for the details! when I bought habitat I also got a smart bridge pro (have not hooked it up yet) cause I had pico remotes from back in the day for the staples connect and I loved the pico remotes. maybe the Lutron makes sense

ill investigate some. I don't think I have a neutral wire. going to check tomorrow.i don't remember

1 Like

Hubitat's integration to Lutron for Picos is as completely satisfying as StaplesConnect's integration, unfortunately with the extra $$ to buy the Lutron Pro Hub, that was "built in" to StaplesConnect.

It's a simple integration, but the thing to grasp right away is that you pair a pico to the Lutron and do nothing else on that Lutron Hub. On Hubitat, you identify the Pico by number (slot?) and that's it within the Lutron App. Last step is to use the buttons in automations. Use Button Controller app or Advanced Button Controller app.

Pico --> Lutron Pro Bridge --> Hubitat Lutron Integration app --> Button App

And it's all just as fast as it was back in 2014 on StaplesConnect :smiley:

I have yet to setup my Elevate, but coming from ST, I have zero issues with the TP-Link switches with local control using Dave's device handler and a local java server. In fact, the first problem I have ever had with it was because ST stopped communicating with them via the Samsung cloud this morning.

I believe I read that Dave has the local version working for Hubitat as well. That will get me 100% off the cloud with wifi. Hoping to get my Elevate operational soon!

1 Like

I use Zooz. My reasoning is they offer both styles and you can leverage existing 3-way and 4-way switches to control the smart switch verses buying satellite switches like the GE products. Come in toggle and dimmers too.

http://www.getzooz.com/zooz-zen22-dimmer-switch.html

1 Like

For all. You are always best if you can find devices that have official Hubitat integration. That usually means z-wave or zigbee devices. There are a lot of choices for these.

(I did the TP-Link (wifi) since I already had 8 devices in my home. If you already have TP-Link, great. Otherwise, go for the native integration items.)

Dave