LIFX Local Control

no, I got mesh AP nearby. I've also go flic button with flic hub. when I can't control it with hubitat, I still could control it with the flic. As you know flic uses lifx cloud and that seems to work somehow.

still..saying that...very interesting that I'm getting those in the logs......

That's quite odd then - are the bulbs' firmware up to date?

My only suggestion would be to check if there are any local WiFi networks that might be interfering with your own network?

Or possibly anything else that could interfere?

If I could trap the warning then I could possibly set a state to indicate the last successful query, however that's not currently possible as far as I know (@chuck.schwer can you confirm that there's still no way to catch that warning?)

I had the same problem, and my 19 bulbs would flood my log with errors, and it always occurred Monday morning 2 am (see in this thread my previous entries). Had to give up Rob’s LIFX code and switch the bulbs onto SmartThings platform. Not ideal, certainly slower reaction times, but now I have an error-free log. Hubitat works best when it never has to log errors I have found.
My two cents ...

Thanks guys. Hi @darrall.1961.pride, so you've got ST hub that controls your lifx? How do you find having 2 diff platform to manage?

Hi, yeah, not the pure system
I had hoped for. ST gives the latency on the bulbs that I don’t want. That said, I am expecting delivery tomorrow on My first four Zigbee Br-30 style downlights (color) from Sylvania Lightify. Looking forward to testing them as replacements.

Hubitat has been a great platform and I want to continue building out with Zigbee and Z-wave devices. The LIFX bulbs are beautiful and fun. They were my first devices when I stepped into home automation. However, I would be happy to slowly replace my WiFi bulbs for single platform integration. I’ve already moved away from WEMO outlets, (which are also WiFi and also pretty good) for Zigbee outlets. Opting for widening my Zigbee mesh network also reduces overall battery consumption on those battery-supplied contact sensors, moisture sensors, motion sensors and keychain presence fobs. Ironically, most of these are SmartThings devices that Hubitat integrates very nicely with their generic Zigbee drivers.

Actual management of platforms went to a minimum once I figured out that my Hubitat setup on my home system was not functioning optimally with available LIFX drivers. As I stated before, the Hubitat hub works fastest when it doesn’t have to continuously log warnings, errors, debug messages, etc. Totally love my Hubitat hub now!

One more note: this by no means is meant to be negative to other LIFX users who have realized successful implementation on HE. I wanted that, too. There is just something about my network router that was causing complete failure and an avalanche of LIFX errors every Monday morning at 2am and then the whole system would no longer work. Spent a lot of time at it with a limited skill set. Couldn’t figure it out. So the problem was my setup and me. I just went with a workaround using SmartThings hub.

have you checked out yeelight bulbs? i think they cost about half of lifx and if you're in the states (which I'm not), I think the drivers of some of the models there are support by hubitat.

discussed in this thread here --> Yeelights

I'm in the UK and seriously thinking of changing LIFX to yeelight (wifi based)

I tried the Sylvania light bulbs and compared them to Lifx. The colors looked really weak compared to LIFX, it was almost night/day in most of the colors. The green/blue/especially red, etc. unless it was just the whites and there they looked pretty similar. The Sylvania bulbs also have nothing even close to the sunset color. LIFX definitely seems to have the best colors I've found - I've compared Hue and Sylvania BR30 bulbs. If Yeelight would make a BR30 I'd try it as well. The Sylvania bulbs do work really well with Hubitat and very quick.

If you do hook up the Sylvania bulbs and have a SmartThings hub I'd pair them there first. They will get a recent firmware update soon after pairing to SmartThings - or you can force it in the api page.

I've got about 70 Lifx bulbs but find they have quirks like not getting the right DHCP address. I've programmed around it in my own software for now and can share my experience.

I would like to know about alternatives. The big advantage of Lifx is that they have the most lumens of any bulbs with an open API. Are there others with similar brightness?

Would be good to know what your solution is to popcorning?

Thanks for the tip about using ST to update the Sylvania bulbs. I definitely will do that!
I agree that the LIFX are hard to beat for color. They are beautiful lights, stand up to the weather outside here in NH (2 yrs, 6 bulbs, none replaced) and have not needed any intervention by me. The LIFX app has been great for scheduling their on/off times in all locations. Reliably!
If LIFX comes out with a Zigbee line of products, no question would I buy them. YES!
Sure I would like the Sylvania’s to be a bit brighter, and I’m not that concerned about color purity. I like to have color bulbs available, but I don’t use color in my bulbs on a daily basis other than a green flash of a bulb after a 9 pm perimeter check of entrance contacts being closed. (we’ve left doors open at night after working in the yard). Color is fun, but quick reactions, less popcorning, and reliability all are more important to me for my system.

I recently installed version 2.1.9.115 of Hubitat.

Seems like my response speed is much, much faster - I have 7 BR30 bulbs controlled through Pico remotes. I probably should give it another week before I draw conclusions. In the past it would be 30 seconds or more and I could individually see each bulb responding - one by one. If this keeps up for the next few weeks I'll be pretty happy. I'm using the latest version of the Rule Machine for the automation - if that makes any difference...

I got a new router and seem to have missed some of my static settings to my lifx . so I'm about half are assigned to the wrong IP not sure how it happened. But I did it wrong. it possible to refresh them without setting up again via app? @rob

does anyone know an easy way to get the IP addresses and names from the lifx app? Names in the router aren't very helpful

If you can't get the IPs from the app you can always cut power to them one by one by unplugging or unscrewing them or whatever.

thats' true. i ended up just setting it up again. it did indeed lose the devices as in i had to just re add them to the lighting apps.

i have google wifi - they make it hard to see what already has a static ip. took ages to re set that up ha. but i'm set now

I’m trying to set a Lifx scene. Can this driver do that? The scenes I am using are different color paintings of the z strip lighting, so I think Lifx scenes are the only way to access those. I have it working in smartthings but am trying to migrate over.

In trying to just figure out for myself, the driver is not discovering my z strip. Already tried adjusting the paramters from the readme, but no luck,,,

You should be able to save a given Beam/Strip colour pattern and then restore it (although it won't always start in the same position).

Not sure why your strip isn't being discovered though, but it's often worth trying the Discover only new devices button a few times. How old is your Z strip? If it's a new one it's possible that they've added a new device id but not published it yet.

Ok I can try that. Not sure what you mean by same position? Are you saying the pattern won’t start in the same position so it will be shifted?

It’s brand new. I was able to add it using the group of groups driver but never figured out how to do scene control with that one.

Ok I can try that. Not sure what you mean by same position? Are you saying the pattern won’t start in the same position so it will be shifted?

Yes, that seems to be what happens, not sure if there's something I'm doing wrong

It’s brand new. I was able to add it using the group of groups driver but never figured out how to do scene control with that one.

This thread suggests that the LIFX Z can have issues depending on the positioning of the device's controller, but if you have a LIFX Z 2 that seems less likely to be an issue. But it may be worth playing around with the positioning/orientation.

The broadcast method that Lifx uses doesn't scale well. IN my own code I accummulate the addresses in a local table and try to track changes to MAC=>IP and rebroadcast until I get a response.

My detection code cycles through all the possible IP addresses and sends a GetState packet to each, normally at least twice per address. I use this method because the broadcast won't work well with the UDP implementation in Hubitat (unless something has changed Hubitat only expects a single response to an outgoing UDP packet).