LIFX has added firmware driven effects

Looks like LIFX has made a few effects that are available through setEffect. Is there any chance of adding these to the integration? :pray: Apparently they are working on more. :slight_smile: :star_struck:

Here is the info:

4 Likes

That would be a question for @bcopeland

1 Like

Oh this would be amazing. Tried to find several workaround but was never able to

It would indeed amazing if we could control the effects on the unit instead of the zone's
With the existing driver you only can use the parent of the ledstrip. When you change only 1 zone of the ledstrip ALL 48 zone's refreshes the status, it put my hub on his knees. The only way to make it work normal is disable all the zones :smiling_face_with_tear:

I just installed a LIFX retrofit downlight and noticed it has a lot of effects as well. It would be great if Hubitat could trigger these but realize a lot has to happen before that might be possible.

Anyway, the official LIFX integration was easy and I like the light quality so far, I can see myself getting more of these even if the Hubitat can only control them like normal color bulbs.

They did just recently make some changes to where the app no longer needs to be open to keep effects going. That's a step forward at least...

1 Like

I just checked this .

they basicy still ask you to use your battery on your phone to run effects by selecting unrestricted.

not enough effects are in firmware. I'm disappointed in Lifx, as making the bulbs work on a local network, but still require use of other devices to get them to work.

I found a windows Lifx control pannel that was opensorced, I just use that to make some random things happen without overwhelming my hub.

1 Like

In their defense, they were some of the first smart bulb manufacturers to do it, and firmware processing was a few steps beyond. Now of course everything has firmware effects, but there's nothing they can do about their old stock.

I just bought the bulbs a few months ago.. they are not old. I only got a few , won't get anymore until that changes.

I think I should have stuck with Zwave/Zigbee for my bulbs anyways.. so this option was a niceaty, but failed execution.

I meant old/original models. They haven't changed the hardware for any of their basic bulb models as far as I know, so they may not be capable of running the effects on their own.

Hubitat is fully capable of replicating the lifx effects though and it probably wouldn't eat up too much processing power. We just need access to the commands.

Link please? Sounds great.

I can't remember where I found it.. but here is the "about" page

samclane (Sawyer McLane) ยท GitHub there is a Lifx Control panel here.

1 Like