LIFX Built-in drivers - questions and discussion

If you set the colors outside of Hubitat and don’t have polling turned on then the hub doesn’t know what color it’s supposed to be.

Polling is optional because people like me never set colors outside of the hub.

2 Likes

First of all thanks for adding native LIFX support... I know there were some commuity drivers but I had a hard time getting them to work reliably and the built in support works well

One problem I'm having is turning a LIFX Ct on/off (tunable white bulb)

While setting level works great and is super fast, turning on/off only works about 20% of the time.

Looking in the logs I see this sequence (emphasis added)

dev:14052021-11-27 11:12:55.058 am debugUnhandled Command: StateLightPower(level: 0)
dev:14052021-11-27 11:12:55.053 am debugparse:lifx device: D073D5111AF20000, command: 118, payload: 0000, isBroadcast: false
dev:14052021-11-27 11:12:55.034 am debugon()

Note that it's only the CT (Tuneable White) bulb that seems to have this problem... Color bulbs seem to work fine.

1 Like

I know what the issue is here.. I’ll get a fix for it

3 Likes

So with a lifx strip if you wanted to preset the lights zones to different colours and then let it use the dimmer motion lighting. How would you set the lights ? Rohit now I'm using If This then that to set them as it ignores the on off so it doesn't turn it on or off it just loads the settings for RGB on each zone. Then i just use motion lighting and it works great.

Hmm so even using the lifx strip driver to turn on switch via motion lighting - it worked yesterday but now it's not longer working.

I think i'll go back to robs driver for now. and check lifx strip out later it is not working for me.

I changed over my c4 hub to use the new integration and I have to double tap the on or off button most times to get it to work. Sometimes a single tap works but most times I have to click the on or off button twice quickly (two successive clicks slowly doesn’t work). Anyone else having that issue? Wanted to try it out on my older hub before implementing on my c7 hub that has a community driver.

Is there plans to support groups out of the box? I actually do see pop corning (although it is so fast that it is totally acceptable... but stilll ... perfection is the name of the game!)

Also see the same Unhandled Command: StateLightPower(level: xxxxx) from color bulbs, is the fix generic? My personal my experience/suspicion is that it is tied closely with the double-tap behavior others have reported (this workaround seems to be reliable for me as well).

Being nosy now - should this be available in an upcoming hot-fix on 2.3.0, or should we expect to wait for 2.3.1?

StateLightPower messages will be gone in the next hot-fix.. I am researching a reason why some are having on/off issues, I am not able to replicate currently so I may sneak in some extra debug logging before the next hot fix

Would it be possible to get some transition time options between ASAP and 1 second? Previously i used .25 or .5 seconds for my lights. Those provided nice, smooth looking but still quick transitions.

@bcopeland I am having the same issue except the model is 31. I am running 2.3.0.113. I have 2 sets of strips. The other set is reporting as model 32 correctly loaded as strips.

additionally, I cant find a way to add the child zones when the app misidentifies it. Switching the driver does not create the children.

Related, but more of a feature request: If I rename the parent, it would be nice for all the children to get renamed as well. Even if it was a button press to sync names that would work.
right now I have to remove the device and re-add as the fast way to sync all the names.

Model 31 is the only one that doesn't support extended liner zones which is what the current driver was written around... I don't yet have a driver that supports linear zones as I didn't have a device to test with. So it won't be able to detect the zones and use them properly..

Yes... But it will probably need to wait until the next release as this is all currently based on integers and would require a good bit of change that I am not comfortable making this late in the release cycle..

2 Likes

@bcopeland FYI all strips devices can use the legacy/older linear zones packets - so you could theoretically test a driver for the older model using a newer strip.

Likewise I believe the model 32 strip may or may not support the extended linear zones packets, depending on the firmware version (>= 2.77).

2 Likes

Ha.. Good point.. Not sure why I didn't think of that.. Thanks..

2 Likes

Perfectly reasonable, thanks!

Started the process of switching over from Rob's drivers to the Built-in ones.

If I understand correctly I have to add the lamps 1 by 1? Is there a way to do this automatically? (90+ Lights)

@bcopeland I'm having problems with my Lifx Color 1000 bulbs since I switched over to the built-in drivers. These bulbs have been working fine for over a year with rob's drivers. Firmware is up to date and WiFi strength is good. Problems I'm seeing are:

1. They don't reliably turn on and off. Sometimes they work, but sometimes they don't.
  2. Transitioning from on to off over 3 seconds does not work smoothly. The behavior looks like the driver is changing the level every second. Not smooth at all. Rob's drivers always worked great for transitions. In fact, sometimes a light will get stuck at some low level and I have to turn it off again to really get it to off.
  3. A group of bulbs being turned on or off seems to be slower than with rob's drivers and I see the popcorning effect.

What I'm doing in my webCoRE automation to turn a group of bulbs on is:
a. Turn on the bulb
b. Set the Color Temperature
c. Fade level to 100% in 3 seconds

Turning off the group:
a. Fade level to 0% in 3 seconds
b. Turn of the bulbs

I'd be happy to provide logs if that's helpful or run a specific scenario with logs.

Yes.. please turn on debug logging when you do a fade to level