Liftmaster 8550W w/MyQ Replacement Ideas

Hi All,

MyQ broke an integration this week (Google Assistant commands) which has triggered my looking into replacement solutions, without replacing the opener itself. I am trying to avoid solider, if possible.

I am wondering if anyone has experience trying to get the 8550W to work with Bond or a Zooz Zen17?

We have a hard wired opener to each garage door. If I understand Zooz correctly, I could use some wire connectors to connect the garage to the opener and Zooz. Not sure if it is really that simple. I do see that there is a disclaimer on Zooz documentation realted to MyQ, but I am not sure if that means the MyQ add on or the opener with MyQ integrated.

If Bond will allow me to control the opener, then I could check off two, maybe three boxes, as I have a ceiling with a Kichler wireless transmitter. I am also thinking of adding a remote to my fireplace, that I could potentially control with Bond.

With either solution, I will add either a tilt or contact sensor to each garage door?

What do the experts and enthusiasts in this group recommend?

Thanks for reading and any help you might offer!

Walt

The Zooz Zen16 or Zen17 garage-door solutions work very well - many of us here use them. Zooz even sells a garage door package.

If you have a yellow learn button on your opener(s), you'll additionally need a Garadget adapter, but that gets good reviews here too (my opener doesn't require one, so I have no direct experience).

If you search here for "Zooz garage door" (or similar), there are a ton of threads on various solutions.

ETA - AFAIK, Bond is not compatible with any GDOs

There's a whole thread on this exact topic. I use the Garadget/ZEN16 solution.

Local Control Options for MyQ Garage Door Openers - :bellhop_bell: Get Help - Hubitat

2 Likes

The thread I have bookmarked for multi-door MyQ (sorry, does use the S word):

I know it isn't local like most things Hubitat, but I've been using IFTTT to turn off/on a virtual switch based on when the garage door is opened.

I use the Zooz Door Opener app with a MHCOZY relay and ST multi-sensor set as tilt with MyQ opener. Works great with Alexa and I'd expect GH.

After losing a few switches, I decided I wasn't buying any more Zooz gear but I'll use their app. LOL

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08X218VMR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The MHCOZY also seems to work great as a reliable zigbee repeater.

Get one of those cheap GoControl zwave garage door openers …
It’s supported right out of the box.