Liftmaster 8500W, with 41A6102 solenoid deadbolt

Hello,

Just received my Hubitat, been researching how to integrate my Liftmaster 8500W garage door openers with it (it supports MyQ but wifi is weak in the garage, and second door can't be connected).

Anyway I am looking for a way to integrate it into my HE dashboard, I hear the easiest way is with a custom program and an additional sensor. My question is, did anyone try and use a reed or magnetic switch on their deadbolt solenoids (I have the 41A6102) to act as a door open/closed status switch? I know some people have used reed/magnetic Z-wave devices in old school doorbells that trigger when the solenoid moves, so it should be possible. Would be a cleaner and easier install for me vs contact or tilt sensor.

I believe you should fix your wifi... Orbi, eero or google wifi can fix that.

Welcome to HE.

I gave up with myq. Constantly fighting with the reliability of their device on wifi (I have a strong signal in the garage) and servers. Its good as a backup though but I hated integrating it.

I did something similar to what this guy did in the video below. Basically used a 2 way zwave outlet connected to a relay that I had to solder into some physical remotes because myq openers have their signal encrypted so you can just tie into the opener or the wall switch directly.

I wrote my own app but you can do stuff via RM. Its all local, works really well and is much more reliable for me than my MyQ was.

The wifi won't be a big issue. I have identified the source (the POS Calix 844-GE integrated wifi, with no external antennas), so I may just run my other router as an access point, or in the DMZ (my ISP refuses to provide a ONT/modem only, or to place the 844 in bridge mode).

I have to say MyQ worked well on the one door within range. I hate that it is cloud based, and proprietary, but with the cash I dropped on those jackshaft openers, I don't really want to break into anything...

So if I could use the HE interface to close doors (as needed) and a simple z-wave device to let me know open/close status (preferably in/on the solenoid deadbolts, as I think it would be cleaner) then I would have all I need. I don't need to open remotely, I can make my way to the opener for that.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.