Life360 continued problem

Use maker api to control virtual presence device. Use tasker to trigger maker api via http get.

1 Like

I already own tasker so may tinker with this. Thanks.

1 Like

What version of Android are you on? Autolocation stopped working reliability for me on Pie, seems that there were some changes to location and battery management that killed it. If you found a way around that I'd be interested in how.

I love tasker. It fits in so well with HA world. It surprises me it is not used more often.

I'll give it a shot. I don't have access to my hub right now (visiting family) so can't try the maker api part, but I can test the location options in Tasker with notifcations.

I only need +/- 1km or so accuracy for my needs, so I'm hoping I may be able to do it with just net + wifi and save some battery.

Ahh I missed this on first read. I was using the built in location profile and it would sometimes be really delayed. Going to install this plugin now and try it. Thanks for sharing.

I noticed that too. I'm going to try with built-in first, since I want to try the low power options anyway (net + wifi).

That's the way I have it setup now and I've had up to 10 minute delays. Sometimes it's instant other times not so much. There are buried setting where you can adjust the gps poll rate but it's a bit confusing as there is also a default poll rate that can overide settings...blah blah. Too unclear for me and I'm not sure how it would impact battery life. If you do find a setting that is consistent please document and share.

I have Tasker setup both ways now (just giving me notifications, not changing anything in HE yet).

I'll monitor and see how it goes, and see if there are any major differences between the two methods.

Getting location detection to work as close to 100% as I can on my family's 4 android devices is a high priority for me, so I don't mind putting in some leg work on this.

1 Like

You mean POST as GET will do nothing... or am I wrong ?

v2.0.3:

• Life360: Fixed issue with clearing out credentials on error from Life360 server.

Is this what we've been discussing here?

2 Likes

Yes

3 Likes

I'll keep my fingers crossed! Thanks for addressing this.

THANK YOU @chuck.schwer !!!!

I really hopes this is the fix we all need !!

Well, based on my limited/quick testing, I saw many in/out false triggers using the Tasker built-in location capabilities.

The autolocation plugin, however, looks very promising. Has been fairly quick, but just as important no false or missed triggers yet.

I set this up yesterday as well. It worked perfectly when I returned home. When I left for work this morning it notified me 5 minutes (a couple of miles) late. :sleepy:

I may need to tweak some settings.

What Android version are you running? If it's Pie/9, it will start out working well, then the Adaptive Battery function will eventually kill the accuracy. Same problem I faced with my Tasker/Autolocation/Sharptools solution I was using in ST. I eventually gave up. Could be that the Autolocation dev found a way around that since then.

I'm on 8 Oreo.

1 Like

I'm on pie/9. I excluded both Tasker and autolocation from battery optimization, so we'll see I guess.

I actually tried Tasker/AutoLocation/SharpTools in SmartThings a few years ago, but have not used it since. I would be starting from scratch again. I searched and didn't see any step-by-step guides available? Anybody know where I can get some guidance on how to set this up?

Thanks.