Levolor Blinds - direct automation

I have reverse engineered the Levolor blinds protocol. (Well, I've actually only figured out how to do replay attacks on the blinds). But I can reliably control the blinds with an ESP32 and NRF24L01+ (both under $5 when bought in bulk).

Looking for someone(s) who would be interested in testing outside my home :slight_smile:

Contact me if you're interested. It has a simple web interface and a simple driver to integrate into Hubitat.

I'm just about to purchase some Levolor blinds and for sure need motorized on the 3 of them because of the height of the window. I'm considering getting the motorized for the lower 3 but if I can't control them with Hubitat I may not bother with the bottom 3 and just save the extra $300. What is the status of your solution?

My solution has been tested by one person. I'd be happy to work with you on it - I think you'll find it easy to use and easy to setup, you'll need an ESP32 and the NRF module to go with it along with a power supply (USB) and wiring. All in should be less than $30 in materials. If you are fairly handy, go to github and search for directolor. I haven't included the drivers you'll need, so you'll have to let me know when you're ready for those (the drivers for hubitat).

Please either let me know if you run into issues or need help. I'd like to start making that ready for users.

The blinds have been measured and will be ordered in about a week. I will have to brush up on my Arduino skills it has been more than 5 year since my last project. I did find your GIT repository and will review it.

I'm looking on Amazon for ESP32 and the NRF24L01+ connect modules and am somewhat overwhelmed with the choices. Can your recommend what I should get. Preferably Amazon links since I have a Prime account.

I can't post links - here is the description:

MakerFocus 10pcs NRF24L01+ 2.4GHz Wire Less RF Transceiver Module New Compatible with Ar duino - should be $13.99

MELIFE 2 Pack ESP32 ESP-32S Development Board 2.4GHz Dual-Mode WiFi + Bluetooth Dual Cores Microcontroller Processor Integrated with ESP32s Antenna RF AMP Filter AP STA for Arduino IDE (Assembled) - should be $15.45

Also, you might want: IZOKEE 240pcs 10CM and 20CM Jumper Wire Solderless Breadboard Jumper Wires Male to Female, Male to Male, Female to Female for Arduino Project (3x10cm, 3x20cm) - should be $9.99

You could try: HiLetgo 4pcs NRF24L01+ Wireless Transceiver Module2.4G Wireless Transceiver Module - which is $7.89

Planning to order some Levolor blinds soon. I am going to get top-down-bottom-up blinds which use the arrow buttons on the remote, similar to Lovolor sheer shades and other shades with a second motor. Does this direct Levolor plugin support that/yet?

Thanks!

If it uses the grey 3-channel remote or the white 6 channel remote (that you can connect to via your phone), then yes, it should work just fine. That being said, it hasn't been tested.

If it doesn't work, I'd be willing to work with you to make it work, if possible.

Stellar. It looks like motorized Levolors are experiencing a 1-2 month shipping delay right now so it will probably be some time before I am working with them or able to test anything, but I’ll report back / be in touch!

@user834 - Do you have the details on requirements and setup available? I just received and installed the motorized Levolor blinds, bottom up only. I would like to attempt to get it tied into my Hubitat system.

Thanks!

I'm at the research phase. The Levolor blinds are a LOT cheaper than Lutron. Does the NRF module mean Levolor uses BLE?

@user3659 - Levolor has switched automation methods now. The "15 channel" remote may need a different plugin or implementation, as I understand it, than this which works with the "6 channel" remove.

@user834 - I have a ESP32 and my Levolor blinds here. How do I try your automation?

Levolor DOES NOT use BLE. If you use their 6-channel remote, you can connect to that via BT and use that to control the blinds. But you cannot directly control the blinds via BT or BLE. If you want to control it via BLE or BT, check out wevolor.

This is only tested with the 3 or 6 channel remotes. If you have the ESP32 + Levolor, you need the NRF24L01+ module and then follow the instructions at GitHub - loucks1/Directolor: ESP32 + NRF24L01+ library to control Levolor blinds.

Got it. Thank you! I'll need to get a NRF24L01+.

I should clarify - this doesn't require a remote - it is only tested with BLINDS that require a 3 or 6 channel remote.

And will it work with the NRF24L01 or needs to be the NRF24L01+? Do you know?

It hasn't been tested with NRF24L01, but I believe they use the 1 Mbps data rate, so in theory, it could work. If you have one, you could definitely play with it, but if you don't, definitely buy the + so you don't have to worry about it.