Leviton outlet?

That's two generations of hardware later...

I have 3 myself. (with a nod to Hans :blush:)

2 Likes

What's the third gen of hardware? DZ15R and ZW15R.

They don't update each component class in a generation. There were no second generation outlets, just second generation switches and dimmers. DZ15R is first generation for Leviton, ZW15Rs is third generation, just released. I expect (hope) that Leviton will update the dimmers and switches for third generation. FWIW, I reached out to them for a comment on LR as a firmware update for third generation, but I didn't get a favorable response. I expect that they may hold further third generation devices until LR approval can be had.

1 Like

When I spoke with tech support, the rep was quick to respond and knew exactly what I was talking about. This suggested to me that the problem has come up before. I can see a marginally engineered product behaving as I described. Some bulbs in the lamp would completely turn off, but with one, there was enough current leakage to keep it illuminated. The problem wasn't isolated to this one receptacle. At one point I had about a dozen installed and when I tried this with the others, I had the same result.

Regardless of this problem, I had a great deal of problems pairing these outlets to the network. They were slow to turn on/off (likely a Z-Wave versus Z-Wave Plus issue). All too often they just didn't work reliably. I replaced them all with the GE/Jasco Z-Wave Plus receptacles and will never look back. These have been completely reliable and fast. I've got about 18 of them now.

The Leviton receptacle is a 2-wire, not 3-wire device. The ground wire is not considered a conductor as it is not used to carry current. For example, if you purchase 14/2 wire (14AWG, 2-Conductor) at the hardware store, you'll see that inside the jacket there is a black, white and bare copper ground. 3-Wire would typically be black, white and red with a bare copper ground.

2 Likes

"The Leviton receptacle is a 2-wire, not 3-wire device. "
That is incorrect. You are thinking of the house wiring and not the device wiring.

The device is a 3-wire IFF it shares a neutral.
The device is 2-wire if it needs the load to complete the circuit. (some also use Earth Ground)

I doubt anyone would make a 2-wire receptacle but technically you could.
This applies to switches as well.

2-wire:

3-wire:

This is incorrect. There is no arbiter of explorer frames. 500 series devices, when they do not receive an ack from the device they are attempting to communicate with, send explorer frames. The controller may or may not be the entity that they are trying to communicate with. The device may be attempting to communicate with a node that is not the controller. You can see this easily by watching PC Controller with a sniffer.

Ah, I see the issue here.

Leviton on the ZWave alliance has 7.12.2 on their controllers.
routing issue will continue to happen until they update to 7.13.3.

SEE:

How to Upgrade Your 700 Series Project from SDK 7.12 to 7.13

I basically disagree. A standard duplex receptacle can be wired as a three way device if you split the hot and share the neutral, however this is not the common application. It's done where there may be a receptacle where half is switched, or in a kitchen for code in some areas. Otherwise, this is not all that common. As far as the Z-Wave receptacles we're talking about, they do not have the option to be split. They are a two-wire device with a single hot and single neutral. The ground doesn't count. Switches and dimmers can be a different topic altogether, depending on a few factors.

Ground conductors are never to be used to complete a circuit, so if I understand your reply correctly, that would be a clear violation of any code. I double-checked with my uncle in case I misunderstood, but he agrees with me and is a master electrician.

1 Like

Incorrect.

500uA is the limit on the earth ground by UL code.

Not sure where you are getting your info. You can disagree but Lutron, LeGrand, Leviton, many others make 2-wire devices for houses with no common neutral (load in series) and 3-wire devices for houses with a common neutral between device and load (load in parallel).

Some of the 2-wire devices like dimmers will leak power through the load while some use Earth Ground. As long as they draw less than 500uA average over 5secs through Earth Ground, its within the spec.

Okay, well I'm not here to argue with you. I'm very familiar with Lutron (and others). I have it all through my home. You can't just count wires and draw conclusions from that, which is basically what you seem to be doing. Anyway, you clearly didn't read what I had to say. We were talking about a specific product. But that's okay, if you want to be right, you're right. I have a feeling you're always right. I'm going to live in my own little world and wire things the same way I have for the past 30 years. Since I've never failed an inspection, I must not be too far off the mark.

1 Like

Actually, I am not looking at anyone's houses and drawing any conclusions. Just for clarification, I am an EE.

Look at lutron, leviton any of the installation manuals. They all describe two wire and three wire systems the exact same way I did and that is why I posted pictures from an installation manual.

There is a difference between arguing and posting info.

Also, take a read of what this guy has to say. A lot of older houses we're not built with what you would consider a neutral wire. Those homes either require rewiring, or a no neutral switch which is considered a two wire switch.

I have tried about 10 times to get the DZR15-1RZ to connect to HE by using "Add device manually:" and the "Z-Wave" button. The hub is about 30 feet away from the outlet and on the other size of a concrete wall. Is this too much distance / interference for connection?

Yes, very likely.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.