Leviton DZS15 switches not updating status when physically turned on or off

The issue when using the built in z-wave firmware updated is that it always seems to get stuck with the message "Please wake up your sleepy device". I get this error after providing a link to the firmware url ota file. It never progresses from that state.

Correction! The error above is the one I get when I try using the Zwave firmware updater drive code. When I try using the built in Device Firmware Updater, there are other issues:

1. When I select the device to update, it says "Device did not respond to firmware metadata request"
  2. The file extension I am able to find for updating these Leviton switches is .ota, which is not one of the supported extensions listed on the Device Firmware Updater documentation.

I used Guide to updating Leviton z-wave firmware to update my Leviton DZPA1, DZ15S, and DZPD3, as Device Firmware Updater | Hubitat Documentation did not work. I don’t see DZS15 on the Leviton firmware update page (near the end): https://hubconnecteddecorasmart.leviton.com/hc/en-us/articles/7151993826075-Updating-Decora-Smart-Z-Wave-Using-Home-Assistant

I noticed for my devices (listed above), toggling the state on the physical device does not immediately update the logical device in HE. If the logical device has a “Refresh” button, clicking it will update the state.

You're not using the right driver. You're probably using the "Generic Z-Wave Plus Smart Switch" driver. Use the "Generic Z-Wave Smart Switch" instead.

1 Like

Good suggestion. I did just try this and I am getting the same result: the physical turn on/off events are not registered in the hub. I am hoping the firmware update I'll be doing later this week will resolve this issue as I have a lot of these switches.

The DZS15 (zwave 300 series) doesn't support OTA firmware upgrading.

The DZ15S (zwave plus 500 series) does.

Super confusing choice of model numbers that Leviton used. I have gotten them mixed up many times.

3 Likes

@user3849 take a quick look at this thread. It goes into the non plus switches a little bit. This will also help prevent some gotchas that might come up..

1 Like

When you switched drivers, did you push configure on the device page?

Also, if you have the dzs15, there are no firmware updates for it. However, that switch uses Hail upon a physical state change, so the controller should automatically poll it for an update.

1 Like

I was curious, because my new Zooz Zen15 heavy duty smart switch that wouldn't report its on/off state.

It turned out that it had a parameter set that caused this behavior. Put in revised parameter with Basic z-wave tool, and voila, fixed.

Now, I'm sure (that is, I've read), this has something to do with polling, since it worked with SmartThings,

I did a search for parameters for the DZS15 and found absolutely nothing. I thought that was odd.

Sorry for the late reply. Somehow, I am not seeing emails when new messages are posted. No, I did not click on the Configure button. I just looked to see if I can figure out where in the devices page this button is. I even found another post where someone is asking about this button. Where can I find it?

As a side note, I did receive the aeotec z-wave stick, but despite trying different apps (Z Wave PC Controller, Home Assistant), I get stuck at some stage without a clear solution. I am fairly technical and very persistent, so that's not the issue. I might try getting a different z-wave stick.

Not the deviceS page. But on the device page for each individual device.

Ok, I found it! I clicked on it after selecting Generic Z-Wave Plus Switch as the type of device and the hub is still not being updated when the light is turn on/off physically.

You should not use the poller with the DZS15. The DZS15 uses Hail to avoid the now expired Lutron patent. For best results with the device, use the "Generic Z-Wave Smart Switch" driver (not the "Generic Z-Wave Plus Smart Switch"), but do not use a poller.

Ok, so I switched it to "Generic Z-Wave Smart Switch" and I'm getting the same behavior as the other suggested options. I did use the poller and it did work for a few of my tests. I put a pause on further testing after I read this message. Given that it worked for my few tests, would there be an issue if I install all my 12 or so DZS15 switches and enable polling for all of them? I am hitting a wall when trying to update the firmware on these, and even if were to succeed in doing that, that does not guarantee that it will resolve the main issue.

It should work and be fine. 12 is not that many switches to poll.

That being said - I thought these switches support Hail. And would have worked with a suitable driver.

1 Like

I just noticed that’s not the driver indicated by @dennypage. Did you try “Generic Z-Wave Smart Switch”?

1 Like

It should work and be fine. 12 is not that many switches to poll.

Ok, I just counted them. I actually have a total of 24 of these. Some are dimmers of the same model.

Yes, I tried 3 or 4 different types altogether and that was one of them.

When you tried it, did you run Configure from the device page first?

That needs to be done for each change of driver.

1 Like

Yes, I did.

What do you see in the data field for the switch?

Should look something like this:

• deviceId: 1
  • deviceType: 13313
  • inClusters: 0x5E,0x85,0x59,0x86,0x72,0x70,0x5A,0x73,0x25,0x20,0x27,0x2C,0x2B,0x7A
  • manufacturer: 29
  • outClusters: 0x82
  • zwNodeInfo: D3 9C 00 04 10 01 5E 85 5C 59 86 72 70 5A 73 25 20 27 2C 2B 7A EF 82 68 23
4 Likes

I'm seeing the same behavior as user3849 with a DZS15. Used the drivers Generic Z-Wave Switch and Generic Z-Wave Smart Switch. Hit configure after each change.

Physical button presses do not register.

My Data field looks like:

• deviceId: 820
  • deviceType: 7170
  • inClusters: 0x25,0x27,0x2B,0x2C,0x72,0x86,0x91,0x77,0x73
  • manufacturer: 29
  • zwNodeInfo: D3 9C 00 04 10 03 25 27 2B 2C 72 86 91 77 73 68 23

Thanks!