Let's talk Echo presence detection and Hubitat

Does anybody here use their echo's for presence detection. I assume a simple virtual switch to hubitat is all that's needed. Are they any good VS cheap motion detector?

If you can use Echo presence detection in a routine, then you can definitely use it to control the state of Hubitat virtual switch/motion sensor.

None of my Echos support that feature, so I have no idea if it can be used in a routine.

This would interest me too. Anyone?

I am considering this. My current echo (4th dot) is fine but looking into changing to the 5th Dot just for the presence detection. I was of course hoping someone here had experience with this. I may order today. I'll let you know my results... Of course, if someone knows if the echo "motion detection" can be seen and used in HE, please share...

I tried messing around with the Echo built-in presence detection a while back. I was not impressed, personally. I find PIR Motion Sensors and mmWave Presence sensors to work much quicker and more reliably. YMMV, of course. Who knowsm maybe Amazon improved it?

Thanks for the feedback. I am also looking at the Sonoff SNZB-06P. It seems to have good reviews. I'm using PIR to turn the lights on but without enough motion they turn things off prematurely. Hoping MMwave will correct that.

1 Like

Some of us have found using PIR and mmWave together is nice when response time is important...

Position the PIR to trigger "turn on" as quickly as possible upon entry, then position the mmWave to provide maximum in-room "stay on" coverage (rarely are those two positions the same).

3 Likes