Let's talk about creative uses for contact sensors

Yes, that's right. My stove coincidentally supports this kind of setup, as I can easily remove the front panel and mount the contact sensors to the back of it, magnets in the knobs. Post about it here that includes pics.

1 Like
  1. Fishing line attached to the back of the weight.
  2. Magnet attached at bottom of fishing line
  3. Contact sensor positioned so that when clock needs winding magnet is low enough to close sensor

The fishing line would probably "disappear" from normal view of anyone not inspecting closely. Depends on whether there is enough hidden space at the bottom of the cabinet to hide the contact sensor, and also so the magnet isn't visible when the clock is fully wound.

1 Like

Very creative solution! Unfortunately I think the magnets would be visible when the weights were fully wound.

This could throw off you while clock, but what about a vibration sensor like the Aqara one...but not the stupid pos Aqara one. When the swing arm stops it needs winding.

I soldered wires onto the external terminals of a Monoprice contact sensor. The other ends of the wires were terminated with alligator clips. I clipped them to a rat trap, one to the staple holding the latching arm of the trap and one to the staple anchoring the spring. Contact was made through the continuity of the trap parts themselves. The Rule Machine app I made sends a notification when the contact is open. Around a couple of months later I received the notification, "Another rat just got his wings". Nice to be able to empty the trap before things get stinky.

4 Likes

You sir win the Internet today. That is absolute genius!

5 Likes

It is quite excellent!

But I bet @rlithgow1 would have preferred to add a camera into the mix, tied to motion, so that the moment could be captured... :wink:

2 Likes

Most definitely.

2 Likes

Don't make me meme you...

3 Likes

The idea is to get it before it stops swinging :slight_smile:

1 Like

Check PM..heh

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...but I looked, and now I will never, ever, be the same. :wink:

1 Like

Hi @brad5

A couple months ago I got our English longcase running again. Did you end up going with a magnet on the weight or did you find another solution?