Let's talk 3D printers!

I think we are all a little geeky here. Tech and toys.

I got my son the Creality?sp? K1 for christmas on sale for just over 6 bills.

It is very easy to understand and operate. Simple to maintain. It is operated by an 11 year old making parts for his "airsoft" weapons in Montana.

There are tons of videos, support and parts avaialble for it. I know it's just a toy slash starter printer but it sure is a lot of fun and will spark your interest in this field. Hope he really digs in and starts drafting soon.

p.s. I'm never giving up my oil cooled german dino oil guzzler.

I guess I will have to read this "study". After witnessing the great garbage patch in the ocean, I have to question the science behind this study, even without reading it. Pretty sure the countries that produce all the plastics with no regulations and no sanitation requirements (looking at you india china) create the majority of microplastics that will eventually be eaten by bacteria in the ocean. Would be nice to knock off the deep sea waste disposal methods. It's really not that hard to burn that stuff and create electricity.

Correct...we should probably move transportation discussions to the Lounge area.

3 Likes

Nearly all of the non-micro plastic in the ocean is fishing related. Out of the non-micros, only around 5% of it comes from land sources.

There's a bunch of other recent studies on the micro plastics being almost entirely from tires, as every last bit of your car tires wears down onto the road, which then dumps straight into rivers and out to sea, and those particles are more than small enough to stay in the water and not settle out or get snagged on something on the way to the sea like something like a drinking straw would.

1 Like

that makes sense. most of the crap I have seen is nets, barrels and the land waste that it entangles.

need a giant ship to suck up all the macro plastics and recycle it into cheap 3d printing materials before it become micro. :slight_smile:

That's amazing! Nice work.

braaaap
How dare you?!

1 Like

Same, my dream car is a 5.0 litre v8 Mustang GT. But for now I’ve settled for a mildly hot hatch.

2 Likes

C'mon you shoulda got a Cerato GT! :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

1 Like

I didn’t have the budget at the time, but if the i20N was available at the time, I’ve have found the money for that. :rofl:

PS I have added a RaceChip to it too boost power by 20% and torque by about 30%. I also added whiteline engine and transmission Torque Arm Bushings to sharpen up the shifts.

2 Likes

Cool - does the chip make a decent difference day to day?

1 Like

Yep, it’s very noticeable, especially when I take out and then drive to the dealer for a service. The extra torque from 1500 rpm is what you notice most, it pulls much harder.

1 Like

Pretty cool video inside the Prusa factory

1 Like

That was a pretty cool look inside Prusa.

2 Likes

If you have a Bambu A1, you need to know this:

Personally, I think that they’ve handled this quite well, especially in contrast to say Creality, who didn’t seem to care if their printers went into thermal runaway and burned ppls houses down all because they were too lazy to turn on a basic firmware feature.

2 Likes

Agree.

Defects suck, but at least Bambu seems to be taking it seriously (as they should).

2 Likes

Ahh the good ol days of 3D Printing. My first printer the Anet A8 initially did not have any thermal runaway protection. If the heating element were to just pop out of the heat block, it would have kept dumping current into it until it burned up.

I had this happen on me once. Turns out continual heating and cooling cycles tends to loosen screws, even if torqued down properly. Luckily, I was right next to the printer and noticed the glowing red element floating around under the head. Ended up swapping the head out and all was well. But I really tried keeping an eye on that thing when printing (as well as a smoke alarm above it) so it didn't catch fire.

1 Like

Just found that in the heated bed screws. I could almost turn them with just my fingers.

3 Likes

100%. I’ve spent over a decade as a Major Incident and Problem Manager (I built my current function from scratch) and they’ve done the right thing. They’ve told folk what they know when they know it, what they are doing, and importantly, what customers can do to protect themselves.

You can’t ask for much more than that.

2 Likes