Let's talk 3D printers!

So after putting 75 hours into my AnyCubic Kobra S1 Combo printer, I can honestly say it’s a great buy at $800-900 Aussie Micro pesos! It’s rrp is $1,000 aud, but it’s usually on sale with 20% off on eBay direct from AnyCubic.

The only flaw IMO is the initial feeding of spools into the Ace Pro. You have to be very careful to straighten the filament out before feeding it in, or it’ll miss-feed and end up back inside the ACE unit. Other than that, it’s rock solid and fast. Oh and the integrated filament drier is excellent!

However, I would not recommend it to a new user of 3D printers, I’d suggest they spend the extra money on a Bambu P1S. For experienced 3D printer owners, it’s a steal and well worth the extra effort to jail beak and deal with the slightly finicky Ace Pro initial loading process (once it’s loaded into the buffer, it’s a non issue).

Tool Turns SVGs Into Multicolor 3D Prints | Hackaday

3D Print ABS Without A Screaming Hot Bed | Hackaday

Michael has great video on the current 3D Printer market up today. My experience with the Kobra S1 makes an appearance too.

My son wants to get a print of below, but my printer is still down. (That and I have zero experience with ABS.) :slight_smile:

Wondering if you guys have a recommendation for a print service that he can use to get this printed/mailed to him. He's in northern CA. Appreciate any suggestions.

I suspect you’ll have a good local option from someone in the community, but if you don’t, my son has a side business doing commission 3D printing and he tells me he could do this and ship it to you.

I’d be more than happy to print it for you but I’m only set up for PLA … does it have to ABS? if I am looking at the right part it just seems like a spacer that wouldn’t have much flex

Ok nm on closer inspection I get it, the part is not just a spacer - the blue contrast makes this more apparent- it’s not the flex, but the weight of the lock pulling on those screw heads

Thank you very much for the offer!

The original design evidently did have to be remixed by the designer because they're having some problems with it cracking/breaking. So I think that's why he's saying use ABS as the filament. :man_shrugging:

I’d recommend using ASA instead, it’s stronger and more chemically resistant than ABS, and as a bonus warps less during printing. It’s effectively a “Super ABS”.

So when will it arrive, and golly why are you printing and bringing it to me in person for free from Straya!? That's so nice! :wink: :scream: :wink:

Honestly mate, if you want to pay $18 yanky bucks for postage, I’ll print it in ASA for you.

I have some nice Prusa Galaxy blue ASA in my cupboard.

Man, .8 nozzles sure are sloppy.

Josef Prusa / 3D printing

I watched that video and the noticed some of the modifications on the ACE pro. Do you have a list of the modifications that you have done to the ACE pro? I see the infeed tubes, with the compression fittings. Is there anything else and do you have links to the models for those mods?

Yep, I've just done these two mods and added a hygrometer:

The printer itself tho has a few more - the bed is trash and only lasted ~150 hours, so now I have these mods:

4mm thick Metal bed carrier:

Funssor 8mm thick bed (mounted on 8mm stainless steel spacers:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005008798859795.html

I also have the upgraded ceramic hot-end with bi-metal nozzles.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005008511743116.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.47.7f8a1802DBycna

Thanks for the superfast reply and the info, I have the Kobra 3 v2 (just got it, and haven't even fired it up yet) and I have 2 ACE pro's . Considering the issues I have seen people have with these systems I want to start out doing these things right out of the gate. When I saw the Capricorn tubing in the video I knew whoever was trying to solve the problem was serious.

So... what are we thinking about the US$550 Bambu P1S Combo these days.
Locally it's barely more $$ than the Kobra S1 combo at this point.
P1S combo CDN$699

Ignore the dangers and dive in? :thinking:

It’s just been replaced by the P2S, but TBH, if I had my choice again, I’d have bought the P1S over the AnyCubic.

Main dangers being...?

(I haven't been keeping up....)

Castration by SWMBO?